Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die

smokin502

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone used this belted magnum resizing die? It resizes the very base just above the belt where normal dies don't. Thinking of getting one for my 300wm.
Thx for the help
http://www.larrywillis.com/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190812-115608_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190812-115608_Chrome.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 356
I only have the 1 300wm so I don't do a full length, just neck. It's been loading just fine but the site states it will increase brass life, so that caught my attention.
I use a Lee collet neck sizing die and a Redding body sizing die for my 300.
You will sooner or later not be able to chamber your rounds because the area just above the belt is not touched by the body die.
Maybe you can get by without it if your load is mild.

I use a Lee collet neck sizing die and a Redding body sizing die for my 300.
You will sooner or later not be able to chamber your rounds because the area just above the belt is not touched by the body die.
Maybe you can get by without it if your load is mild.
You're totally right. I don't shoot it that often but ordered a new chassis for it and plan on doing more shooting.

If I had known about this die 4 years ago, I would've stayed with 7STW, when the barrel was done, and not have gotten a new barrel in 28 Nosler.

I found out about this tool, earlier this year.

Last edited:
It works great if you need it. I've had several belted mags over the years and I've only needed a Willis die for one of them. It was a factory chambered Remington 5R 300 WM. None of my custom chambered belted mags have given me any problems.

Not once have I ever found the need for this die.
If you want long brass life, size correctly in the first place and avoid rifles having chambers that DO NOT support the case head just in front of the belt. Trust me, these chambers are more common than you think.
Also, some brass is thin in front of the belt, the belt and around .040"-.060" in front are part of the solid head, in all but a few brands, there would be no expansion in that area to justify the Larry Willis die.

Anyway, if you feel the need to spend $100+ on a die you may never need, go ahead.

Cheers.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone used this belted magnum resizing die? It resizes the very base just above the belt where normal dies don't. Thinking of getting one for my 300wm.
Thx for the help
http://www.larrywillis.com/
I have used the Larry Willis die for 10 years now for my 3 win mags. Definitely helps extend my brass life.

I've used them for my 300 weatherby. I have found that weatherby rounds fired in other rifles need to be reshaped to shoot in other rifles. Works great on cases people give me.

My thought run similar to those of MagnumManiac. I have had the LarryWillis collet die for more than 5 years and have not found occasion to use it. I've been through more than 2000 reloads for my 300 WMs over the last several years and never run into the problem the collet was designed for. I use Redding Competition body die and bushing die and try to set them up carefully to minimize resizing. I also try not to switch brass between rifles even though the chamber dimensions are very close (all from the same gun smith).
Most of what I have shot has been Norma brass with heavy loads. I have the ability to anneal necks but haven't done it often. My experience has been primer pockets loosening up after 5-10 loads has been the demise of my brass.
I am not knocking the collet die or saying anything bad about, just has been one of those things I bought that sits in a bin somewhere,

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.