Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die

I bought 100 300 win mag supposedly 1ce fired cases from cabellas when brass was hard to find. they were expanded above the belt to the point they wouldn't chamber, purchased the willis collet sizer and it worked very well as advertised.

I rebarreld my .340 Weatherby with a Lilja barrel. The brass from the old rifle would not chamber in the new rifle. I bought the Larry Willis die, and can now use the "old" brass in my new rifle. I would recommend anyone shooting a Weatherby caliber to try the die if you have any problem chambering brass that has been full length resized.

I had over 200 fired brass from my old barrel, and the cost of the die was minimal considering the ability to use my "old brass" from my old barrel.

The rest of the story . . . .

I designed the Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die. So, let me know if you have questions. I have been (and still am) continuously available to handloaders by phone and email since this unique die hit the market, back in 2001. At this time, there are well over 6,000 shooters using it. Unlike conventional resizing dies, this patented collet design squeezes the case inward only, and it can't plow brass rearward.

Belted magnum case bulge almost always occurs at (or soon after) the 3rd firing. This is caused from cumulative case stretching. The first firing is especially bad, because a NEW belted case has over than 3 times more shoulder clearance than a non-belted case. So, the first firing is a REAL case stretch. Most of the excessive case bulge happens during the reloading process. After a few years, I re-wrote the instructions because I found that too many shooters were using this die to over-resize their cases.

You only need to reduce case diameter .001" smaller than one of your FIRED cases. That makes the die much easier to use. (Most shooters figured that out.) The drop gauge on top of this collet die just shows how your cases fit in the average SAAMI spec chamber - which may or may not be the same size as your chamber.

Measuring case diameter above the belt should be done with the WIDE part of your calipers. This clearly shows the difference between a new case, a once fired case, and a case that won't chamber. Once a handloader sees this, it doesn't usually take long to understand what is needed to make reliable fitting handloads.
Your Website and URL are not working?

Once you put the collet on, do you then run it into your resizing die? That is what it sounds like but how does it fit?

Once you put the collet on, do you then run it into your resizing die? That is what it sounds like but how does it fit?

The Larry Willis die comes with the collet and the die body. You screw the die into your die press, and put the collet over the brass, sliding it down until it contacts the belt of the case. You then lube the collet, then insert the case into the Larry Willis die and that resizes the portion on the case right above the belt, reducing the case diameter which allows the case to now chamber in any chamber. Well worth the price IMHO. You don't use your original sizing die in this process, you use the Willis collet and die.

The Larry Willis die comes with the collet and the die body. You screw the die into your die press, and put the collet over the brass, sliding it down until it contacts the belt of the case. You then lube the collet, then insert the case into the Larry Willis die and that resizes the portion on the case right above the belt, reducing the case diameter which allows the case to now chamber in any chamber. Well worth the price IMHO. You don't use your original sizing die in this process, you use the Willis collet and die.
How does it work on all belted magnum calibers? I do not see 30-378 Wby listed.