belted cartridges

jlvandersnick

Please explain to me what people are talking about when they talk about potential problems with belted cartridges.

I have 7RM and have a 6.5 RM that's shot out....I'd like to be better informed before I build another 6.5 RM,

Yes 6.5 Rem Mag. The barrel is shot.....deep excessive fire cracking in the throat and a deep wide parallel crack in the riffling at the muzzle.
I bought the rifle used and believe the previous owner got it HOT. The rifle was also dropped muzzle down onto something hard. There is a dent in the barrel at the muzzle. The rifling with the crack in it runs right up the the dent.
Pics attached....not the best resolution....but kind of tells the story

Attachments

• IMG110101-001338F.JPG
    IMG110101-001338F.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG110101-005835F.JPG
    IMG110101-005835F.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Please explain to me what people are talking about when they talk about potential problems with belted cartridges.

I have 7RM and have a 6.5 RM that's shot out....I'd like to be better informed before I build another 6.5 RM,
To sum up MudRunner's response, some people just can't help parroting opinions from a perceived expert as fact, even when said expert is really talking out their anus and can't substantiate that opinion with any sort of factual corroboration. Amazing isn't it ? Comical, too!

To sum up MudRunner's response, some people just can't help parroting opinions from a perceived expert as fact, even when said expert is really talking out their anus and can't substantiate that opinion with any sort of factual corroboration. Amazing isn't it ? Comical, too!
I can't help but perceiving this as a direct bow-shot at me... Am I correct?

I believe the hornady reloading manual shows a picture of belt separation from brass flow. Supposedly the area in front of the belt can become thinned. As aforementioned you just need to not resize excessively. I recommend a set of the simple Headspace gauges from Hornady to measure shoulder bump as you resize. I have had great luck with them in my reloading paired with the bullet comparator gauge set.

MudRunner, my apologies for not being more clear. That was in no way meant to be taken as aimed at you. I agree whole heartedly with what you said.
At jlvandersnick, did you shoot out that 6.5RM ? If you did, do you have any issues with the accuracy ? Just curious.

I believe the hornady reloading manual shows a picture of belt separation from brass flow. Supposedly the area in front of the belt can become thinned. As aforementioned you just need to not resize excessively. I recommend a set of the simple Headspace gauges from Hornady to measure shoulder bump as you resize. I have had great luck with them in my reloading paired with the bullet comparator gauge set.
This ^^^
I just neck size mine for the first three firings. The FL size and bump the shoulder back .002. Then shoot and bump until the primer pocket gets loose.

MudRunner, my apologies for not being more clear. That was in no way meant to be taken as aimed at you. I agree whole heartedly with what you said.
At jlvandersnick, did you shoot out that 6.5RM ? If you did, do you have any issues with the accuracy ? Just curious.
It's all good man. It just seemed like the way you worded how it was humorous seemed directed. And you had mentioned me in the post. I worked 19 hours today, starting at 12:30am, so I'm a bit delirious trying to stay awake to get back on normal schedule. So, my apologies if I read it or perceived it wrong. When you get that level of tired, things can easily get jumbled and misread.

When you say your 6.5 RM; I assuming it's a 6.5 Remington Magnum that is shot out, in what way, throat, lands & grove or headspace?? There's nothing unnatural about a belt on a cartridge other than in many cases, actually always all cases they aren't needed. Other cartridges like the .458 Win Mag they are, they are needed do to the .458's straight wall case. Could you bring this boat a little closer to the dock? :)

It's all good man. It just seemed like the way you worded how it was humorous seemed directed. And you had mentioned me in the post. I worked 19 hours today, starting at 12:30am, so I'm a bit delirious trying to stay awake to get back on normal schedule. So, my apologies if I read it or perceived it wrong. When you get that level of tired, things can easily get jumbled and misread.
No worries man. Worked 17 yesterday myself-I get it.
And now, back to our regularly scheduled program. I know several people personally who used to constantly hate on belted cases. Funny thing was, none of them could point to any issue, and say, that's gonna bite you on the ***. It was all their perception from questionable sources. There is a condition that can develop with a belt. The Dread Case Bulge! And an ingenious tool was brought about to combat this. I have never needed it. Got a 300WM, Been loading for that rifle 30yrs. Never caught Case Bulge.