Below The Eye...

Double Naught Spy

video: [ame]https://youtu.be/x5Py9WvNAho[/ame]

Giving my buddies a hard time about "patterning" hogs. They pattern them and then get surprised when the hogs don't show up, so I am promoting the 1-time event patterning concept. :D If a hog shows up, maybe it will be back, LOL.

This one did come back, so I got lucky. He came in behind the feeder and didn't even come to the corn. Instead, he was doing his security checks (stop, listen, sniff) when I decided to go ahead and take him.

The shot entered below the right eye and exited below the left, basically going through some light bone and sinus cavities, nothing vital. However, the hydrostatic over pressure seems to have caused the 205 lb boar to stoke-out, blood coming from his right ear. He didn't even twitch much.

Called my neighbor and he picked it up after it was gutted. It will be going to a local family after it gets finished at the processor next week. Except for the gut pile, the buzzards and coyotes will be disappointed.

You know, there is a character on Youtube named DNA Hoghunter who does some neat videos and has a saying that goes something like, "Shoot'em in the head and you don't have to track them and you don't mess up the meat."

I am happy with anything CNS when I am confident of the shot. Otherwise, it goes to the boiler room and more often than not, a search is involved.

I'm a lot more comfortable with a heart/lung shot on a deer than a hog. I've lost a number of hogs that I was extremely confident that I had made a kill shot on. It is amazing how much damage those little bas%#@*s can absorb. Unless it is a trophy mount, I go for the head.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.