Beginning Predator Hunting Question

benchracer

I have long wanted to get into predator hunting. My emphasis would be on hunting coyotes. At this time, I do not intend to hunt for pelts. If I am not pelt hunting, what is considered the proper thing to do with a coyote once it has been taken? Is it proper to simply leave it where it fell?

I ask this because I want to make sure that I am doing the right thing in the field. I would hate to do something out of ignorance that would negatively affect the perception of my sport and my fellow hunters. In the past, I have always hunted edible game. Predator hunting seems to me to potentially be a different ballgame in terms the ethics involved.

Any advice from experienced predator hunters would be appreciated.

To the bunny huggers, game hunters and fur hunters are equally hated, so it doesn't matter what you do......they'll hate you anyways. I only hunt coyotes and hogs, and only keep the nicest most furred out pelts as personal souveniers and let the rest lay. Buzzards gotta eat to.

Chupa

Fair enough. Thanks for the PM, by the way. I just wanted to make sure of my ground.

I always pick them out of a field. don't want the haying equipment to hit it. Out on the hills, i just leave them lay where they landed. I kill a lot of them close to rivers and on ice, those stay for the eagles.

I haul the good yotes back and give them to a friend that doesn't mind skinning the stinkers. Usually the mangey ones lay where they fall. Although maybe a guy should toss them in a brush pile and torch em. I try to be respectful of the land owner. If it's on farm or hay ground or if they seem a little sensitive, I'll toss them some where out of sight. Us "sportsmen" don't need more negative pr.

the only ones i leave lay are the mangy ones and the ones i put to big of a hole in, the best go on stretchers and the rest hang in the shade on the north side of my shop until i make it to the fur buyer... hey even if i only get 10 bucks for an unskinned fur it adds up for my reloading components!!!

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate having the opportunity to benefit from your experience.

Once I have gotten started, perhaps I may change my mind about hunting for fur. At present, my interest is focused on using predator hunting as a year round opportunity to get in the woods and improve my overall hunting skills.

With the advice I have received in this thread in mind, I can press on and concentrate on the development of said skills.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.