Beginner with new gun.

My dad always told me-"You never know till you pull the trigger." Experience is the best teacher. The best way to learn is to shoot the rifle. The more you shoot the better you will get.
That's pretty much pointless if the rifle is not floated, bedded, scope rail, mounts all correct and everything properly torques along with the fundamentals of good marksmanship being practiced.

It doesn't how much practicing you do with a rig that is not set up right or you aren't following the basics.

The "basics" forum offers a good introduction to all of those and taking advantage of what's there can save a guy a hell of a lot of money, time, and frustration.

That's pretty much pointless if the rifle is not floated, bedded, scope rail, mounts all correct and everything properly torques along with the fundamentals of good marksmanship being practiced.

It doesn't how much practicing you do with a rig that is not set up right or you aren't following the basics.

The "basics" forum offers a good introduction to all of those and taking advantage of what's there can save a guy a hell of a lot of money, time, and frustration.

I agree with this! BUT I will say I witnessed a rifle shot to 800 yards sub MOA (right at .6MOA) that the barrel is NOT floated nor is the action bedded. It is an older (90s) ruger m77. It even actually has a heavy trigger (4lbs 8 ounces). I shot it out to 300 yesterday with groups all under 1 MOA. Most were closer to .7MOA

All that being said, bedding and floating never hurt accuracy and almost always HELP!!!

I agree with this! BUT I will say I witnessed a rifle shot to 800 yards sub MOA (right at .6MOA) that the barrel is NOT floated nor is the action bedded. It is an older (90s) ruger m77. It even actually has a heavy trigger (4lbs 8 ounces). I shot it out to 300 yesterday with groups all under 1 MOA. Most were closer to .7MOA

All that being said, bedding and floating never hurt accuracy and almost always HELP!!!
I've never seen a rifle that did not shoot better after being properly floated and bedded.

Further if you read through the majority of the threads with the subject "Help Newbie with rifle that won't group" more often than not this is the solution.

There are always exceptions to every rule but on the whole that's the quickest answer to accuracy issues behind making sure everything is mounted and torqued properly.

For myself I don't even bother shooting a new rifle anymore without taking care of that first. Too much wasted time and money thinking it just had to be something else when that was the problem all along.

You have plenty of gun to shoot 1000 yds, rest assured. The 7mm is my personal favorite LR bullet and the Weatherby sends them downrange in a hurry. I shoot a "pretty much stock" 7mm Sendero. I have great glass mounted and have worked up some great loads and I seem to do as well as my buddies who have 4 times the money invested in their rigs than I do. Your .243 is no slouch either for that matter. I am going to approach the question from the perspective that you have already a decent knowledge base, but I think it is wise to take a practical approach. Start out shooting a lot and up grade as you go.

First the idea is to have fun and to learn (in that order). The learning curve isn't all that steep, or it is tremendous. Both a true statements. There is a huge knowledge base on this site and sometimes you cannot say much without saying almost everything. Avoid the confusion and have fun at the same time. Shoot the gun! Shoot when it is windy, wet, calm, hot and cold. Each will teach you something different. A big factor in what to start out with is what you want to use the rifle for. My LR guns: 30-06, 7mm RM both have to pull double duty as hunters and LR guns. They have been plenty good at both assignments. My Ruger #1A in 45-70 gets wrung out now and then as well as a "relatively speaking" LR gun.

In my opinion the worst thing you can do is invests heavily in "stuff" that you see other people using or that they recommend. Instead, shoot that rifle as much as you can, then add things, starting with a quality scope, as you master the unique specifics of your rifle at ever increasing ranges. A 3x5 index card with drop data is more meaningful in the beginning than most people give credit to. One "must" is to bed the action and float the barrel. Second, a good chronograph will, at some point, be needed to develop and tune the perfect load for your rifle.

In short you are good to go, but there are always some tradeoffs.

Your stick may have a few drawback: it is probably a thinner barrel hunting rifle, so you should observe a barrel cool down of 5 minutes between rounds fired. (shoot your 243 while the beast cools down-you may be surprised to learn you have 2 LR rifles because you simply shoot it better, especially in the beginning. Unless the 7 has a muzzle brake, its recoil will earn your respect after only a few rounds. Practice from the prone properly, each and every time until it is automatic. And start out at more modest ranges until the basics of your 7 are second nature.

The Weatherby is greatly over bored and it therefore much tougher on barrels than say the standard 308. Also, it is a powder hog, more expensive to reload than non-Weatherby cartridges and seems to have fewer after-market stocks available for upgrades. The factory stock isn't the best for long range shooting but it will be more than adequate for now.

Put some trigger time in and move to longer ranges as you learn the fundamentals: range estimation, wind , proper shooting position, cheek weld, breath and trigger pull. the more time spent shooting means more time learning to make your rifle an extension of you arm eyes, fingers and shoulder.

Then after a long time doing this you will discover that "the perfect" long range rifle is the one you can hunt with, ring steel and punch paper with.

Good luck

I don't care how much crap you study, without hands on experience you'll never truly learn anything. You can read about any trade you want to, but without getting a tool in your hand and going to work, you'll never learn the trade. That's a fact.
This guy could also waste a whole lot of money and not need to. If he dosent go out a shoot the rifle, he won't know exactly what to improve on, and he will never learn how to actually use it. If it ain't broke, why throw a bunch of time and money at it from the start?

I don't care how much crap you study, without hands on experience you'll never truly learn anything. You can read about any trade you want to, but without getting a tool in your hand and going to work, you'll never learn the trade. That's a fact.
This guy could also waste a whole lot of money and not need to. If he dosent go out a shoot the rifle, he won't know exactly what to improve on, and he will never learn how to actually use it. If it ain't broke, why throw a bunch of time and money at it from the start?
And no matter how much practice you get at doing it wrong you are wasting time and money doing things wrong and not learning a thing.

Without an accurate rig and an understanding of the basic fundamentals of marksmanship no one is going to achieve success in this game.

Most folks won't mess with it long if all they go home with is a heaping pile of frustration again and again and again and those folks tend to give up the sport in disgust more often than not.

That benefits no one and it most certainly doesn't help to grow the sport and without growing the sport we lose leverage and political clout every day.

On the other hand success breeds success and increases desire and demand which does benefit us all in every way with each new person coming into the sport and succeeding.

With my generation we could shoot as much as we wanted to and the costs were negligible, today this is ever becoming a more expensive hobby with each passing year so I think it's a really good idea to help people avoid those frustrations and costs which are unnecessary.

And no matter how much practice you get at doing it wrong you are wasting time and money doing things wrong and not learning a thing.

Without an accurate rig and an understanding of the basic fundamentals of marksmanship no one is going to achieve success in this game.

Most folks won't mess with it long if all they go home with is a heaping pile of frustration again and again and again and those folks tend to give up the sport in disgust more often than not.

That benefits no one and it most certainly doesn't help to grow the sport and without growing the sport we lose leverage and political clout every day.

On the other hand success breeds success and increases desire and demand which does benefit us all in every way with each new person coming into the sport and succeeding.

With my generation we could shoot as much as we wanted to and the costs were negligible, today this is ever becoming a more expensive hobby with each passing year so I think it's a really good idea to help people avoid those frustrations and costs which are unnecessary.

I absolutely agree with Wildrose on this one. Educating oneself prior to wasting time and money out at the range and developing poor habits through trial and error doesn't make any sense to me. Arming oneself with knowledge and then implementing it and finding what works for the individual is prudent. Can a person learn on their own? SURE, but it takes more time, energy and money. That's what this forum is about... People with a common interest coming together to share best practices, ideas, and information which collectively is greater than a single individual could ever possess or figure out on their own.

Getting tips and ideas prior to undertaking a task is smart... And exactly what the OP asked for. Try packing for a hunt where you don't know where you are going, what the weather will be like, how long you will be staying, and what you will be shooting at? I guarantee you will be packing a **** load more stuff than if you had the information before-hand. Same thing applies.

I've never seen a rifle that did not shoot better after being properly floated and bedded.

Further if you read through the majority of the threads with the subject "Help Newbie with rifle that won't group" more often than not this is the solution.

There are always exceptions to every rule but on the whole that's the quickest answer to accuracy issues behind making sure everything is mounted and torqued properly.

For myself I don't even bother shooting a new rifle anymore without taking care of that first. Too much wasted time and money thinking it just had to be something else when that was the problem all along.
I'm not saying it won't shoot better being floated and bedded I'm just saying the rifle shot great as is. he could get lucky and not need to for his needs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.