Beginner that doesn’t understand scope reticles...

I don't want to step on anyone's manner of sight reading because to each his own. However when I am shooting long range I do not use marks on the cross hair to determine a holdover. That method is definitely quicker but usually not as precise as clicking or sighting in for each distance. When using a ballistic program the click value is very easy to do and then just use the center of the cross hair no matter the distance. I have used both but prefer just a crosshair and a sight picture that is not cluttered. This type of crosshair is getting harder to find but I certainly prefer it.
I don't use the vertical hash marks for determing POI and like you and prefer to dial. However, I do like to use the horizontal hash marks for making wind calls in a hunting situation.

Some of the skills and preferences described here are the result of a lifetime of experience and practice. It sounds simple but is not, especially in a pressure or adverse field situation. A bad first experience can sour ones perspective. As you move to longer range optics and hunting keep the KISS principle in mind. How many blown opportunities have been explained by someone saying, "my scope was .... "

This is exactly why I prefer a FFP scope... some claim that the reticle is too big or covers too much target etc. IMO I completely disagree with that... I want to be able to use my optics around 10X for most shooting situations at anything over 2-300 yards. Keeping the stadia the "same" is a must for me using it for wind holds.
Some of the skills and preferences described here are the result of a lifetime of experience and practice. It sounds simple but is not, especially in a pressure or adverse field situation. A bad first experience can sour ones perspective. As you move to longer range optics and hunting keep the KISS principle in mind. How many blown opportunities have been explained by someone saying, "my scope was .... "

2Frogeyes,
You can find lots of information on the net as has been said. If you want to practice using a reticle for range finding (and if you want to learn just how difficult that is) you can download the ShooterReady shooting simulator from shooterready.com.(If you try the simulator you will soon learn why a good laser rangefinder is a must) If you want to quickly learn to effectively shoot long range I would highly suggest a class with Dan Newberry. The website for his long range school is BangSteel.com. He focuses on practical long range and the school is well worth the time and money.

Haven't been to Dan's school (yet) but refer to Practical Riflery often and also bangsteel.com for equipment info. But that recommendation is spot on.

A couple of observation that you might consider. First, don't go crazy on maximum power. As you go out further mirage will become the enemy of higher power. Probably 16x-18x is the most you will need.

First or second focal Plane. If you only anticipate using mil dot or MOA reticale for ranging the SFP is OK. If you think you will use holdover in addition to ranging then FFP will probably work better.

Watch out for mixed reticle elevation adjustments, such as mil dot/MOA turret.

Most of all recognize that this will be a learning experience, and down the road you initial preferences will probably change.

First question is do you want to dial in or use the reticle for hold over. Second is do you want to use the scope with different power settings if yes then FFP scopes are required if scope reticle values are to be used.
BB

Another dimension will be cartridge choice. Flatter, faster moves the error window further downrange. Some well past where most should be shooting at game. Steel and paper lowers that worry. I have a .338 Federal that a 3-10 NF with a dial makes perfect sense to me and a .280 AI That I can hold a few hash marks with a higher magnification scope and be game on! I also practice dialing for longer range with this set up and holding off for windage. Again works for my brain. This is a great ride, welcome aboard...

I've hunted my whole life and have shot a lot but never got into long range. I would never shoot over 300-400yds on game. My extent of hold over was aiming at the top of the elks back knowing the bullet would drop 8" right in the pump station. Anyway, I have 2 custom builds going on right now and I'm wanting to get into long range. I'm completely ignorant when it comes to reticles. They confuse me and I don't know where to start. Looking at the Nf atacr 5-25 or the 7-35. I want a reticle that I can learn on but don't know where to start. Wheres the best place to learn a reticle and how it works? Also, what reticle should I buy into for long term usage?
Try the net...go to each manufacturers site.... simple! Then you tube

Alot of good advice given. The best suggestion I have is to determine who or what group you will be learning from, and get what they use. For example, we use MOA versus MIL. Over the years I have had several guys show interest and ask for help getting started. When they use what I use, I have successfully helped several guys learn the methods we use. However, a couple of times even after asking, they end up with something I am not familiar with (MIL turrets for example). Nothing wrong with them for sure, but very different when it comes to wind values etc, making it much harder for me to help.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts