Beginner question?

ermad

how important is case length? I have all my brass to within .005 of each other. I full length resized before trimming, cleaned primer pockets. After firing the bullets in my new savage 11 should I just neck size them. Is this correct. I've been shooting a long time, but the long range stuff is kinda new to me. I already have a bunch of loads I'm gonna try. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!!

JMO but the bench rest guys say the key to accuracy is for everything to be consistent. I try to keep lengths the same, measure the same to the ogive every time,measure each load...etc. I try to keep everything the same. Sinclair has a little soft steel plug that you can use to measure the length of your chamber. http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...gth-gage-30-cal-sku749000804-32925-64816.aspx
This will help you find out the length and keep them as long as possible.

Brass grows every time you fire a round. Trying to maintain your brass length to match the chamber is, IMO, an exercise in futility. I shoot F Class and Tactical competition. Been doing it for a long time. While I have found that CBTO, neck tension and other factors are important, OAL of the cases has had no recognizable effect on my ballistics or results on target. When my cases get to within .001 of maximum length I trim them .005 and load.
IMO, it's pretty easy to carry some of this nit-picky case handling stuff into absurdity.

I also shoot F Class and I think it helps to know the length of your chamber. I keep my brass .005 under that. If you think that is absurd more power to you. I believe what the Benchrest crowd say when they say consistency is the key to very accurate hand loads. To each and his own on loading techniques but I like everything to be uniform.

+1 Lone Hunter
But it can also be futile with a poorly designed case that is heavily FL sized(like a 30-06).
Also, until the cases are fully fireformed and while they still fit with end clearance I don't trim. Then at FF'd I set trimmer to -5thou from end myself.

The tighter this clearance the lower the neck sooting & lower the ES. Once you get out beyond 10thou clearance from end, I doubt it makes any difference.

I also shoot F Class and I think it helps to know the length of your chamber. I keep my brass .005 under that. If you think that is absurd more power to you. I believe what the Benchrest crowd say when they say consistency is the key to very accurate hand loads. To each and his own on loading techniques but I like everything to be uniform.

How are you guys getting near chamber length on your cases?
My GAP 308 has a chamber length of 2.035".
Lapua brass came as 2.005".
After 3x firings, my brass is about 2.010".
If I were to let the brass grow until .010" under chamber length, it would have 10+ firings on it (assuming linear growth).

Bill, You can use this little plug to help determine chamber length. My A.P.A. is a match chamber and is shorter than my factory chambers. I don't have the data for the chamber in front of me but there is a difference between the A.P.A. than my factory rifles. I let the brass go longer than SAAMI specs and don't have to trim as often. Gives a little more to hold the bullet with.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...s/sinclair-chamber-length-gage-prod32925.aspx

Bill, You can use this little plug to help determine chamber length. My A.P.A. is a match chamber and is shorter than my factory chambers. I don't have the data for the chamber in front of me but there is a difference between the A.P.A. than my factory rifles. I let the brass go longer than SAAMI specs and don't have to trim as often. Gives a little more to hold the bullet with.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...s/sinclair-chamber-length-gage-prod32925.aspx

That's what I use. What I meant is that by the time my brass got within .010" of my chambers length, it would have about 10 firings on it.

Bill that's the condition GAP put you in. Probably a 'tactical' thing,, so you're able to close a bolt on Lybian rocks & Iranian mud..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.