Beginner 7 SAUM reloading tips

I shoot 168 ablr, 180 eldm, and 140 hammers. It's old gunwerks brass, which is made by adg but might have different volume. My max coal is 2.95 or so. 24" barrel. 4831sc is plenty slow for my stuff, it will be prime for the mid weights in 22" pipe. The only suboptimal results I got were from 7877. H4831 is one of the most stable and accurate and forgiving powders available and I could get it during the worst of times if I needed to. Fed 210 works great, I get accuracy anywhere on the map, and most guys I've talked used regular large rifle with a lot of success. The 168 ablr and 180 are both going off h4831 and I'm getting 2660 fps for the 180. I can't remember the 168 velocity right now. 168 is around 58.5g and 180 is around 53g. The 140 absolute hammer is doing 3230 off around 63g Reloder 16. All of these are easily beer can accurate at600y. I have had zero problems using long bullets in a short action, very minimal tuning required. I haven't shot a group over 3/4 minute, including ladder testing. Except trying the imr7877.

nobody thinks a 180 class bullet doing 26-2700 is low effort when a 30-06 does it so I never understand why it turns people off when a 7mm does it. I would absolutely hunt deer with it, but I decided to hunt the 140 hammer and had great success. Out to 600 and beyond the numbers for 140 are very, very good. The 160 class ticks a lot of boxes but I prefer the either-or approach. Happy to provide any data I have if you decide want to deviate later on, and don't let anyone tell you what you can't do with the saum. It's been incredibly flexible with outstanding results across a wide spectrum.

Well, I hunt in an area of the country where trajectories, velocities, and proper ballistics at distance really matter. So for me, it's important to find a balance between speed, accuracy, and bullet drop, and the ability to buck the wind. I still want a load that offers a flat shot, that has enough velocity for proper ballistics at distance. Most of my shots start at 300 yards, and that's no joke.

I'll chime in bc I have a similar setup except I have a SA 20" carbon proof 7 saum. I have a couple loads that I have tuned for my rifle. None are screaming fast……the fast ones were too hard on my very hard to find ADG brass. All hit hard and work to 500+ yards on pretty much anything I hunt including a big bull elk two years ago

143 Hammer Hunter , 58.3 h4350 , fed 215m, ADG brass, COAL 2.870. 3033 fps

168 Berger VLD Hunter, 64.5 H1000, fed 210m, ADG, COAL 2.960, 2820 fps.

180 Hornady ELDM, 58.5 H4831sc, Fed 210m, ADG, COAL 2.925, 2675 fps……before you say that is an anemic load it is super accurate, carries 1500 ft pounds past 500 yards and you don't have to worry about the ELDM blowing up at short range like the guys that hot rod them. I LOVE this combo and it is my go to load. I have loads for an 180 Berger hybrid also. Are they as fast as a LA running a 28" tube? Not even close but they hit hard and brass lasts! Don't get too caught up in the velocity game and you will be very happy.

This is some great info. This is kind of the sweet spot I'm looking for. You're right about the brass. I'm not looking to wreck my expensive ADG brass with pressure issues trying to chase velocity.

Well, I hunt in an area of the country where trajectories, velocities, and proper ballistics at distance really matter. So for me, it's important to find a balance between speed, accuracy, and bullet drop, and the ability to buck the wind. I still want a load that offers a flat shot, that has enough velocity for proper ballistics at distance. Most of my shots start at 300 yards, and that's no joke.
I live in utah, I completely understand. That's why I dual load and why I chose the hammer 140 as my carry load. It's got good enough ballistics to be easily shootable for an intermediate like me at 600 in light wind and it's flat enough that 3-450 require layup holdovers with a 100y zero, and 500 is still a snap without dialing. It is freakishly flat, to me, and hits hard. The BC isn't awesome but sheer speed makes it very forgiving. The 180 isn't exactly clunky either. I've hit cans in field positions from 300 to 600 using holdovers with that thing. Just bracketing with a varmint reticle. It's so ballistically good that it has a very steady decay, it's not like it's rainbow. And once you're dialing, you're dialing. The 168 accubond long range was excellent too, has the balanced ballistics you're looking for if you can get it to 2850. I my gun that actually had the best external ballistics of all. Lower BC than some but I got enough speed that it passed everything else. Those 162 pills are a fantastic choice too, not disparaging them at all if you can get them. One is not better than the other, not saying that, I'm just letting you know you have a LOT of great options should you run into supply issues and gouging, especially with your action. I ran hundreds of pages of numbers for proper ballistics and found dual loading fun and a lot easier than I expected, and now I just feel really confident with that setup. It's such a cool round, it would be a smash today. It took Hornady 20 years to repackage the principles, make it longer than it needs to be, and get it back out there.

I live in utah, I completely understand. That's why I dual load and why I chose the hammer 140 as my carry load. It's got good enough ballistics to be easily shootable for an intermediate like me at 600 in light wind and it's flat enough that 3-450 require layup holdovers with a 100y zero, and 500 is still a snap without dialing. It is freakishly flat, to me, and hits hard. The BC isn't awesome but sheer speed makes it very forgiving. The 180 isn't exactly clunky either. I've hit cans in field positions from 300 to 600 using holdovers with that thing. Just bracketing with a varmint reticle. It's so ballistically good that it has a very steady decay, it's not like it's rainbow. And once you're dialing, you're dialing. The 168 accubond long range was excellent too, has the balanced ballistics you're looking for if you can get it to 2850. I my gun that actually had the best external ballistics of all. Lower BC than some but I got enough speed that it passed everything else. Those 162 pills are a fantastic choice too, not disparaging them at all if you can get them. One is not better than the other, not saying that, I'm just letting you know you have a LOT of great options should you run into supply issues and gouging, especially with your action. I ran hundreds of pages of numbers for proper ballistics and found dual loading fun and a lot easier than I expected, and now I just feel really confident with that setup. It's such a cool round, it would be a smash today. It took Hornady 20 years to repackage the principles, make it longer than it needs to be, and get it back out there.

I'm going to have to check out that hammer 140 too. That's what makes this setup so fun! So many options to play with. It might be ideal for coues deer.

I'm going to have to check out that hammer 140 too. That's what makes this setup so fun! So many options to play with. It might be ideal for coues deer.
It could be a little heavy for coues I guess, I don't know how much mass they need for resistance to open up and transfer energy but someone on here can give you the answer. The ballistics and speed combo are a great match, but the 119 also had a great BC/fps ratio, I almost got that one but I wanted extra insurance on cow elk in timber. Steve said it really didn't matter, but it made me feel good. I shot my buck at 55y, so it's not the best comparison for you but my partner was extremely impressed by the performance. It does not, as some folks will claim, behave like a FMJ after the petals come off. It was incredibly devastating but the contained fragmentation meant I didn't destroy half the deer at 3200fps. If you decide you need tips let me know or ask around, but to me the absolute hammers are the way to go in this case capacity even though they require some different juju. (lower friction, harder to get to full pressure, but faster.) In terms of hitting a small target like a coues you're not going to find a more accurate bullet than the hammers.

But yeah. It's a fun catch 22. You can spend weeks of free time agonizing but almost anything you stick in there the saum is going to like.

I'll chime in bc I have a similar setup except I have a SA 20" carbon proof 7 saum. I have a couple loads that I have tuned for my rifle. None are screaming fast……the fast ones were too hard on my very hard to find ADG brass. All hit hard and work to 500+ yards on pretty much anything I hunt including a big bull elk two years ago

143 Hammer Hunter , 58.3 h4350 , fed 215m, ADG brass, COAL 2.870. 3033 fps

168 Berger VLD Hunter, 64.5 H1000, fed 210m, ADG, COAL 2.960, 2820 fps.

180 Hornady ELDM, 58.5 H4831sc, Fed 210m, ADG, COAL 2.925, 2675 fps……before you say that is an anemic load it is super accurate, carries 1500 ft pounds past 500 yards and you don't have to worry about the ELDM blowing up at short range like the guys that hot rod them. I LOVE this combo and it is my go to load. I have loads for an 180 Berger hybrid also. Are they as fast as a LA running a 28" tube? Not even close but they hit hard and brass lasts! Don't get too caught up in the velocity game and you will be very happy.

210m's are ridiculously Expensive right now, but I do have a large supply of the regular 210's. Do you think these would suffice?

Last edited:
210m's are ridiculously Expensive right now, but I do have a large supply of the regular 210's. Do you think theses would suffice?
yes. Most people I have asked feel they're interchangeable. I used a bunch and couldn't tell the difference when I mixed them in. The M is just a little extra insurance, the rumor is that they're made in the same place on the same machines, just by the most experienced staff. Dunno if that's true, but it sounds cool.

Last edited:
yes. Most people I have asked feel they're interchangeable. I used a bunch and couldn't tell the difference when I mixed them in. The M is just a little extra insurance, the rumor is that they're made in the same place on the same machines, just by the most experienced staff. Dunno if that's true, but it sounds cool.

Are you running the 210's with the HH's as well?

Are you running the 210's with the HH's as well?
yup. with everything. Edit, I'm using 210M mostly. You don't need mag primers for the saum. Some folks get a little extra gas when using slow powder in long setups, but other folks get subpar results. fed 215 is the magnum primer. 210M is large rifle Match. If that's what you're wondering about. fed 210 is about the hottest large rifle primer anyway I think, it's already fairly juiced.

Everything that has been said above is what I have read/been told concerning the 210 vs 210m question. Not much difference. As for whether to use the 210's vs 215's…….I use the 215's in my 143 HH load but a 210 in an 124 HH load I have for my 6.5 SAUM. (SAUM land is a slippery slope……esp if you want to be a little different than the popular PRC crowd). The rule of thumb I had been told by a veteran reloader is anything at or over 60 grains is magnum territory so the SAUM tends to be right on the cusp. Prob why both tend to work well!

yup. with everything. Edit, I'm using 210M mostly. You don't need mag primers for the saum. Some folks get a little extra gas when using slow powder in long setups, but other folks get subpar results. fed 215 is the magnum primer. 210M is large rifle Match. If that's what you're wondering about. fed 210 is about the hottest large rifle primer anyway I think, it's already fairly juiced.

I was just curious if you had other preferences as far as primer brand/manufacturer. I'd love to see some of your load data for those hunter hammers when you have the time. Thanks for all of the great info!

Well, it should be obvious by now, but I will add - don't try heavies in the 7 SAUM. I was dead set on 180 class and just never got my Shilen Select match barrel to shoot. Gave up. (lots got to acceptable, as in 1 moa or a little less, but never a tack driver that a really good barrel and competent reloader should attain) Moved on to other projects. Sent the barrel back to Shilen after years just cause I could not bear to throw it away, and I always wondered if the barrel had an issue. This was custom throated to allow relatively long seating of the 180 Berger in the longer "short" action of a Savage.

Kudos to Shilen -- they really looked over the barrel. I had acquired a borescope in the meantime and also could find no issues. In the end they re-threaded and re-crowned the barrel and said to try again. For free. I paid shipping.

I've not gotten to that project. Just -- for heavies to work in a 7 SAUM, I think you must have a long action. Or be really lucky.

Silver Lining: trying to get that stupid 7 SAUM to shoot left me with 8 lb jugs of H1000. H4831 SC, Norma Magnum, Ramshot Magnum sitting on the shelves..... Back when you could buy stuff. They all shot about the same, which led me to believe it was the barrel or the bullet.
Haven't had an issue with the heavy to shoot.
22" 1:8 - ADG - Fed 210- Berger 184-F -COAL 2.955
Both N565 and H1000 both similar.
Pic 10-shot 59.5 H1000 @ 2735
SD 5.4 - ES 13

Attachments

• IMG_1896.jpeg
    IMG_1896.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 48