Beger 115 gr VLD

Archery1973

Does anybody have any experience with the 115 grain VLD on deer size game at 0-15o yards?

I am thinking of using them out of a .257 WBY.

Have not tried the VLD's but have been shooting the Sierra 117 for about 7 years in 257Wby and many of hogs and whitetails have gone in the freezer.

Attachments

• 257Wby_117.jpg
    257Wby_117.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 86
Do yourself and the deer a favor. Forget the Bergers and go with proven bullets. Sierras are fantastic. Really like the 120 Gameking. The Nosler 110 Accubond kills deer as well as any bullet I have ever shot. 2 years ago I lost 2 bucks shooting Bergers out of a 270. One of them was a wallhanger. No penetration.
Kirk

Ive been shooting 25's for yeras whby. 25=284. 250ai, 25wsm and have never went over the 100 grain sierra bt. Taken cow elk one shot and beyond counting whitetails over the years with 1 shot.
mike

I will be able to tell you in November how they do. I'm shooting them out of a 25-06 going 3135 fps. I'm hoping to drop some whitetail where they stand with them. On the other hand I've had several deer drop to both the 100 grain GK and the 117 GK. I expect extreme internal damage with the 115 grain bergers at close range, but that's ok with me when I'm only dropping 28" to 500yds.

Last year's production:
100gk's don't fare well on front on chest shots, (heart turned inside out, deer dead very quickly. no exit but dead deer still the same) GK's and MK's work well on ground hogs just no spectacular effects like true varmint bullets.
117 gk's exited after mutilating both lungs and breaking offside shoulder (deer dropped in tracks; nice entrance and exit)

The Berger has been looking good in our 250AI in the 3000+fps range but in the ranges your taking just about any bullet you stick in it will tip deer, also like the 120 Hornady interlock and it's done a nice job on the past few elk it's been used on. I've tried seriously for five years to get a Berger to blow up, all I've had is piles of dead game and a 100% recovery rate, even tried 140's at 3300 fps from my 270 WSM and 60gr from a 22-250 at 3500fps and no dice, they just fall on their nose gun)

112 savage. What is your 115 berger recipe?

+1 on the Interlock. Killed my speed goat last year at 407 and he never even twitched

Mixed results with 115 hvld's in my 25-06. One time the bullet blows up and then the next it pinholes though. I've experienced more pinholes than blowups

I will second the 117 gr Sierra. Been using it for over 20 years in a 25-06 and my hunting buddy uses it in a 257 WM. 99% of the time BANG FLOP. Could not ask for a better bullet.

Hey there,

I've been very happy with them in my 25-06ai, pushing them @ 3340fps every thing I have shot with it has been bang flops.... Deer out to 525yrds, coyotes out to 700..
At close range it tends to make a mess of coyote pelts... Though I'm not too worried about that..

Orch

The Berger has been looking good in our 250AI in the 3000+fps range but in the ranges your taking just about any bullet you stick in it will tip deer, also like the 120 Hornady interlock and it's done a nice job on the past few elk it's been used on. I've tried seriously for five years to get a Berger to blow up, all I've had is piles of dead game and a 100% recovery rate, even tried 140's at 3300 fps from my 270 WSM and 60gr from a 22-250 at 3500fps and no dice, they just fall on their nose gun)
I shot a 250 ai for years with good results shouldnt of sold gun. What was your load. I used 87 hornadys with around 46 grains of w-760, this was in the late 80's.

I shot a 250 ai for years with good results shouldnt of sold gun. What was your load. I used 87 hornadys with around 46 grains of w-760, this was in the late 80's.

We've been using R17 in it and it is outstanding in that case, we're running the 120's just over 3000pfs with no pressure signs. It's the rifle I first started hunting with as a kid, it's killed truck loads of deer and quit a few elk over the years, still one of my favorite rounds!

No complaints going into 4th season using the VLD in the 25-06. Strike like the "Hammer of Thor" on whitetails.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.