Been after this guy since opening day

Finally put it on the ground yesterday, been going after this one to take out since opening day, 6 Nov. Its pattern was so unpredictable, sometimes it passes through the clearing at 2 AM, or randomly during the day. The day before the trail cam picked him up at 10. All day it was MIA until about an hour till sundown. He stood behind some cedar, motionless with just the horns in my view. He just looked around

Finally he decided to take a couple of steps that exposed the shoulder in a small opening through the cedar. Could not see the hoofs just the head, horns, and shoulder. He is standing in a trail protected by cedar.

From the hide, the 280AI on a bipod barked, the 175 Berger Elite Hunter coming out at 2950 found its mark, high shoulder shot at 240.

Game over, almost one month in the making.

Since opening day I passed up shots on a couple of 10s and a few 8s to put this one on the ground first.

View attachment 316097View attachment 316098View attachment 316099View attachment 316100View attachment 316101

Last picture was taken 2 days ago.

280AI shoots real well. Changed the primer from 210Ms to BR2 and fired the group at 200 yards last weekend. Target is the one on the left.
View attachment 316105
Super cool looking deer. Congrats on a successful hunt! Sounds like your past month has been filled with fun and adventure 🙌

Finally put it on the ground yesterday, been going after this one to take out since opening day, 6 Nov. Its pattern was so unpredictable, sometimes it passes through the clearing at 2 AM, or randomly during the day. The day before the trail cam picked him up at 10. All day it was MIA until about an hour till sundown. He stood behind some cedar, motionless with just the horns in my view. He just looked around

Finally he decided to take a couple of steps that exposed the shoulder in a small opening through the cedar. Could not see the hoofs just the head, horns, and shoulder. He is standing in a trail protected by cedar.

From the hide, the 280AI on a bipod barked, the 175 Berger Elite Hunter coming out at 2950 found its mark, high shoulder shot at 240.

Since opening day I passed up shots on a couple of 10s and a few 8s to put this one on the ground first.

View attachment 316097View attachment 316098View attachment 316099View attachment 316100View attachment 316101

280AI shoots real well. Changed the primer from 210Ms to BR2 and fired the group at 200 yards last weekend. Target is the one on the left.
View attachment 316105
Would have to pass this one up in many areas in Missouri. Need 4 points on one side to be legal. Looks like he needed to be retired though.

Next one, a huge doe I have been watching, but very elusive. The 30-06 with the 137 HH at 3356 will get the nod. Same area, same range from 230 to 245 yards. Sometimes she would hung back at 350 behind some cedar across a ravine. Cleared some for good view from the hide.

Stay tuned for hammer time. Plenty velocity at 350? Thoughts?
View attachment 316153
You'll be fine at 350. I shot a buck this year with the 124 HH out of my 6.5cm and impact velocity was right around 2400. Complete pass through, didn't even find a petal. He was quartering away hard, entered behind left shoulder, exited the brisket in front of right shoulder. Heart was sliced in half. looked like from a petal shearing off.

View attachment 316105
I see you took the tarsal glands. Did you save them for another hunt or to keep them from tainting the meat? Hope this doesn't start an argument, but I use to use them while hunting and to keep from tainting the meat. Neither seemed to do anything to help with either the meat or hunting, but I would like to know your reason(s).

I see you took the tarsal glands. Did you save them for another hunt or to keep them from tainting the meat? Hope this doesn't start an argument, but I use to use them while hunting and to keep from tainting the meat. Neither seemed to do anything to help with either the meat or hunting, but I would like to know your reason(s).
Didn't want the strong smell around the truck vault and inside the cap of my daily driver. I still had my shooting jacket, shooting mat, and stool when I took off from the house

20211130_170211.jpg

Open bed ranch truck, throw anything and everything on the bed.

Did that answer your question?

Last edited:
Didn't want the strong smell around the truck vault and inside the cap of my daily driver. I still had my shooting jacket, shooting mat, and stool when I took off from the house

View attachment 316515

Open bed ranch truck, throw anything and everything on the bed.

Did that answer your question?
Yep, I was taught to do it when I t'was nothing but a little feller. Taught my boys to do it, too. My middle boy taught me that it was not really necessary. I'm just a curious sorta fellow (feller). Thanks for the answer!