Bedding Vanguard in Boyd's stock

CoachChris

I'm planning on pillar bedding a Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag in a Boyd's Pro Varmint.
The action fits too tight and sits between 1mm and 3mm high in the stock.
Should I carefully fit the action to the stock or just hog out some wood with a Dremel and fully bed the action from tang to recoil lug with Devcon?

Have you bedded rifles before?

It's usually recommended to try and have the same thickness of bedding material all the way around. So, if you can remove enough material to do that, it's what I would recommend. You don't want a thin piece that might flake off.

On a Vanguard, don't forget to put 2-3 layers of tape behind the rear of the action where the rear screw fastens. You need zero contact, else it will act like a second recoil lug.

I bed the whole action and float the barrel.

Have you bedded rifles before?

It's usually recommended to try and have the same thickness of bedding material all the way around. So, if you can remove enough material to do that, it's what I would recommend. You don't want a thin piece that might flake off.

On a Vanguard, don't forget to put 2-3 layers of tape behind the rear of the action where the rear screw fastens. You need zero contact, else it will act like a second recoil lug.

I bed the whole action and float the barrel.
Thank You so much!

This would be my first attempt at bedding something more complex than a rimfire.

Last edited:
On this forum there is a great thread on bedding a vanguard to a boyds stock.
My advice, hog it out so if fits, use tape on the barrel to center it and set your level. I also taped the parallel sides of the bottom bar on the action, providing some relief, while the bedding holds tight on the round part of the action. Nate Foster recommends doing that in his bedding tutorials on the vanguard and sako av actions

I purchased adjustable pillars from Score High Gunsmithing.
Drilling out the rear action hole for the pillar will essentially remove all or most of the wood.
Should I be concerned about this?
Should I look for smaller pillar tubing?
Should I not pillar bed it at all and just glass bed the action?

I purchased adjustable pillars from Score High Gunsmithing.
Drilling out the rear action hole for the pillar will essentially remove all or most of the wood.
Should I be concerned about this?
Should I look for smaller pillar tubing?
Should I not pillar bed it at all and just glass bed the action?
You need to determine then if you want to bed the pillars + rifle as one step, or pillars first and rifle second. There are + and - points to both. Either way the pillars MUST be bedded. You can't just stick them in there.

Home Depot has brass colored aluminum tubing that is threaded for light fixtures. Take one of your action screws and get the size that fits and cut off what need, then you will have extra. It is not expensive. It is what I use.
Looks like this.

IMG_20180803_155945072.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.