Bedding Tip I stumbled across.. .

Ok, thanks. 5min ok for scope mount ? Don't think I want to use it for action bedding, tho. In my world, there are way too many things that can go wrong ! Lol
Gregg
JB weld and Devcon both work great for bedding a rail mount. Just make darned sure to use plenty of release compound if you intend to ever remove them. Personally I don't as when I mount one I want it to be permanent. I shoot a lot of heavy recoiling rifles, some with very heavy scopes and I've sheared off more than a few mounting screws over the years.

Another way to go with scope mounts is to have a gunsmith put an extra hole or two through them and pin them to the receiver. A pin will have about five times the strength of a screw of the same diameter because of the weakening of threading the screw.

JB weld and Devcon both work great for bedding a rail mount. Just make darned sure to use plenty of release compound if you intend to ever remove them. Personally I don't as when I mount one I want it to be permanent. I shoot a lot of heavy recoiling rifles, some with very heavy scopes and I've sheared off more than a few mounting screws over the years.

Another way to go with scope mounts is to have a gunsmith put an extra hole or two through them and pin them to the receiver. A pin will have about five times the strength of a screw of the same diameter because of the weakening of threading the screw.
Well, the jury is out. I bedded the rail with 5min Loctite Epoxy. Says 3200psi on package. Used Kiwi wax on the receiver. Hopefully, it won't break the screws. I debated weather or not to use any RA, and remembered, at some point, I'm going to want a +moa rail. Thought about tilting the back end up some with some tape, or such, but decided that it probably wouldn't be worth the headache. I just read where .001 under backend of scope is about 1/4 inch at 100. If that is correct, it would take a lot of tape to gain any thing.
Gregg

Well, the jury is out. I bedded the rail with 5min Loctite Epoxy. Says 3200psi on package. Used Kiwi wax on the receiver. Hopefully, it won't break the screws. I debated weather or not to use any RA, and remembered, at some point, I'm going to want a +moa rail. Thought about tilting the back end up some with some tape, or such, but decided that it probably wouldn't be worth the headache. I just read where .001 under backend of scope is about 1/4 inch at 100. If that is correct, it would take a lot of tape to gain any thing.
Gregg
Well the first rail I ever bedded I accidentally partially glued to the receiver and was upset about it.

The longer I thought about it though the more I came to the conclusion that it's really exactly what I wanted and as close as I'd ever get to a custom action with the action and receiver both being milled out of a single block of steel.

What did I do? Well I'd already made a mess of the action trying to clean off the epoxy scratching it up quite a bit but I have no intentions of ever selling it so I just put it back on without any rease compound at all on anything but the screws.

At some point I'll just have them blast the whole thing as it is and cerakote it as is or leave it with the blasted dull look.

I'd rather leave mine permanently mounted and not worry about the screws ever shearing off than have them where they can be easily removed but that's just me.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts