Bedding the Action on a Tikka T3X

Tommo64

I have a Tikka T3X Lite in 308 and was contemplating bedding the action. I was wondering if anyone else had done the same and what, if any, benefits came from it in terms of improved accuracy.

64, bedding should help. Not sure if all the interchangeable stock parts are helpful to stability. Pillars for that fiberglass stock are a good addition. I bedded a Tikka with a walnut stock which improved the accuracy, but I haven't done a fiberglass. Good luck

Thanks Dosh. I didn't realise the pillars were available. I will look into that too. You may have a point re. the interchangeable parts too. Also, when I checked the barrel for float, I could only get paper about as far as where the taper starts. When I removed the barrelled action from the stock, I noticed that there is a web with a threaded insert for the forend attachment. This obviously must be contacting the barrel, which surely cannot be good for accuracy? Anyway, I was thinking that bedding may raise the barrel enough to clear that web. Alternatively, I might try removing a little bit of the material around it.

Last edited:
Thanks Dosh. I didn't realise the pillars were available. I will look into that too. You may have a point re. the interchangeable parts too. Also, when I checked the barrel for float, I could only get paper about as far as where the taper starts. When I removed the barrelled action from the stock, I noticed that there is a web with a threaded insert for the forend attachment. This obviously must be contacting the barrel, which surely cannot be good for accuracy? Anyway, I was thinking that bedding may raise the barrel enough to clear that web. Alternatively, I might try removing a little bit of the material around it.
The best thing you can do with a Tikka is throw that junk stock in the trash and get a carbon fiber on there, doesn't have to be an expensive one even a B&C would be a big improvement.

Mine is still on the factory stock with no bedding at all and shoots great.
C9E9391F-4FA2-43ED-B3BB-AF588242E506.png

I was told by Straight Jacket out of Montana that anyone who tells you you need to bed the action on a Tikka is a ******* idiot.
I have bedded 4. I also added some reinforcement to the foreend and butt. Made a stainless steel recoil lug that was larger and bedded it into the stock. Shoots great. Tell SJ, thanks ;)

I have bedded 4. I also added some reinforcement to the foreend and butt. Made a stainless steel recoil lug that was larger and bedded it into the stock. Shoots great. Tell SJ, thanks ;)
OK, the billion dollar question: Was the improvement in accuracy worth the investment/effort? That was really the main thrust of my original post. Can I also ask which models? I have two T3X's, one is a 223 with the heavy Varmint barrel, the other is a Lite in 308 with a lightweight sporter barrel.

OK, the billion dollar question: Was the improvement in accuracy worth the investment/effort? That was really the main thrust of my original post. Can I also ask which models? I have two T3X's, one is a 223 with the heavy Varmint barrel, the other is a Lite in 308 with a lightweight sporter barrel.
Have to agree that I have never liked the fantastic plastic stocks they have, even the improvements in the T3x were minimal.
Personally I would much rather one of there wood stocks over the plastic.

Plenty of after market way better stocks out there but if your set on keeping the one you have then yes, pillar & recoil lug kits will help, plus some glass betting as well.

Some people also fill the webbing area of the forend to stop it twisting/flexing in the hand.

I have 2 T3's, neither of them are in the original stocks!

One is in a Boyds laminate thumbhole with the above kit in it plus is glass bedded it as well, & added a Lumley BDM at the same time.

I haven't even done any LD for it, I've only fired 6 shots from it using the same exact load I use from my other 24' .260 LR rifle.

Tikka 20'.jpg

Last edited:
First off, if the stock works for you, run it. Get that barrel channel cleared out and floated, then make sure you've got a steel recoil lug. the aluminum ones that the original T3's have would deform over time. Then, shoot it. If its good, don't waste time or money with bedding or replacement. You can buy a lot of ammo or components for the cost of a decent stock.

I've been running the Tikka T3 platform for about 20yrs now, and have yet to encounter a single one that wouldn't shoot in the factory "junk" stock. My fist was a 25-06 that would hold .5moa with hand loads, no problem. Then a 338wm, 300wm, 223, all of which had no problems with stellar accuracy from the light stock. The stock is light, stiff and functional. If that doesn't suit you, then it's your money.

I bought a Tikka Forest 260 (wood stock) and bedded it with Devcon and added pillars, changed most of the plastics to metal with recoil lug to steel. Then I bought and modified a 30-06 magazine (fits the 260) to hold the longer bullets, modified the bolt throw a bit and it's one the most accurate shooters I currently have.

Last edited:
How do they shoot now?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.