Bedding Savage Factory Stock

Tagging in on this....My Smith has always skim-bedded my stocks with aluminum bedding blocks in them. He even skim beds chassis. It looks like the Savage Accustock is actually designed to flex a little bit when torquing the receiver down according to this article here. Would be interesting to know if skim bedding the Accustock might prove to be counterproductive for it....??
01A36DDB-F148-4D7D-B612-7EFB37C34F54.jpeg

The two savage factory stocks I use are wood laminates and they are pillar and skim bedded under action and around lug. Barrels are completely floated. Three more savages have stockade composite stocks with aluminum bedding blocks and again they are pillar and skim bedded with floating barrels. I will also watch this post as most of the savage stocks including the accustock are movable and can be pushed against the barrel with some pressure. Don't know what opinion would be on bedding.

I have limited experience on this but a friend and I bought the same rifle; Savage 116 Bear Hunter in 300 wsm. He bedded his and I didn't. We shot the same bullet, Hornady 208, and got about the same velocity, 2700 fps. Both of our rifles were very accurate and I couldn't tell a difference with the two. I don't think bedding, if done correctly, ever hurts but I don't think you will gain much bedding the accustock.

I bought a compact 7-08 that wouldnt shoot anything under 2 MOA until I bedded the action in the Accustock. I bought it for my son as a donor action in the future, most of the time Savage's shoot pretty good out of the box. Not this one. It took some work.

I have had two rifles with accustocks on them. The bedding area actually works fine, and I bed almost all my guns. These don't seem to need it. The forends are a different matter. As Savage 12 said, far to much flex in them. They need to be stiffened or they will easily touch your barrel.

Haven't had mine apart yet, but if the side rails flex at all as the action is torqued, I'm uncertain if bedding, skim or otherwise, would have any benefit. Mine shoots great out of the box FWIW.

Haven't had mine apart yet, but if the side rails flex at all as the action is torqued, I'm uncertain if bedding, skim or otherwise, would have any benefit. Mine shoots great out of the box FWIW.

^^^ This is exactly what a Savage accustock does. It basically pulls a V block of aluminum onto the action. Key is to follow the instructions which manage a gradual front to back tightening in torque. This spreads out the V block evenly. I don't think bedding an accustock brings anything and might make things worse.

I think this process of torquing an Accustock is inherently variable, a bit at least, and probably contributes more to the accustocks lack of real high end accuracy, than the flexible foreend. I have a couple accustocks, and as much I agree that they are foreend flexible, they very seldom contact the barrel.

The best bedding, IMHO, are steel or alu pillars. I have a couple pillar bed guns. The screws go in easy and then "boom", they pull up onto a non-compressable, non-distorable pillar. Having tightened action screws into wood and plastic stocks for years, the difference is MARKED. And then you torque and you are done. But pillar bedding is never a factory (big names at least) option. Its hand done, and done right its the best;

Not certain how much flex there is, but bedding is relatively hard and I suspect that it may crack over time from flexing or be rigid enough to stop it from flexing as designed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.