Bedding recoil lug

Fla, I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish and the blue or green masking tape. For the epoxy try Marine-Tex, it is reasonably priced and very strong. Devcon is another compound, but it costs more. There are many videos on the Internet for bedding. What make rifle and type stock are you bedding?

Last edited:
I've tried a lot of different release agents and Brownell's Spray on seems to work the best consistently.

If you are going to bed in front of the lug as well as behind it run it out about as far as the case shoulder sets in the chamber and use a little modeling clay to build a dam to keep it from running forward.

As mentioned above the blue painter's masking tape works very well.

There are dozens of good videos on doing your own bedding on Youtube and I suggest watching several of them before attempting it on your own.

If you get stuck be patient and use a combination of a wooden wedge slowly driven from the forearm end down into the stock and a heat gun or blow drier on the action.

Johnson's paste wax is another excellent release agent. As mentioned already, use plenty of clay filler, tape, and measure and think everything through before mixing your bedding. I used JB Weld on my rifle, great results.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.