Bedding question

Thanks to everyone for your inputs I'm getting more comfortable with this process. The link that Fitch gave on the washers had a good how-to description on specifically bedding the HS stock. Trigger Springs|Aluminum Pillar|Pillar Bedding|Gunsmithing I ordered some of those washers to try.

I have another question. Some tape all the recoil lug except the rear side and some tape just the bottom of the lug. What is the consensus on this (if there can be one) and how thick should the tape be. I'm planning to use plain masking tape. Thanks.

Gordon

The application dictates the method.

For a hard use(Carrying, packing), I normally bed everything but the bottom of the recoil
lug to minimize any movement.

If it is a bench gun only, I bed only the back of the recoil lug.

A position target rifle is somewhere in between because of heat (Rapid fire) it has to
grow in two directions.

Just the way I do it .

J E CUSTOM

Excellent, thanks.

Gordon

The application dictates the method.

For a hard use(Carrying, packing), I normally bed everything but the bottom of the recoil
lug to minimize any movement.

If it is a bench gun only, I bed only the back of the recoil lug.

A position target rifle is somewhere in between because of heat (Rapid fire) it has to
grow in two directions.

Just the way I do it .

J E CUSTOM

I completed my first bedding job and it came out good. Thanks to all your help. I forgot to take a picture of it before I put it together and sighted it in. I don't want to take it apart again. I leave for Wyoming Friday on my high country mule deer hunt followed by an antelope hunt. I'll take some pictures when I return. I got my groups tighter at 200yds after the bedding job. I was shooting my worst group pre-bedding at 2moa (4" @ 200YDS). I now have a worse group of 1 1/4 moa (2.5" at 200yds) and a best of .5 moa at 200yds. I think Most of it is me and my position getting used to using a bipod and rear bag. I'm getting it though. Most of my shooting has been High Power and Palma. Unfortunately I didn't get to use the washers to create a pillar bed because they didn't arrive in time and I needed to get this job done and sight in the rifle. Thanks for all your help. Now I'm ready to start replacing some other stocks and try pillar bedding myself. I love this sport. Again thanks for all your help.

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.