Bedding question

Actually I've looked at systems designed to mix while mitigating any air contamination.

The problem really presents itself when applying the material to the stock and the action. I have a procedure to deal with this. For now the heat gun works and I've not had any issues with my inspection process afterwards.

I'm always open to new ideas though. I've gotten so stupid carried away with this that it makes little difference anymore if I add yet another step in the process.

I'm in the process of building some more equipment for addressing any further porosity issues. We'll see if it works.

that is the real deal pillar bedding, no doubt. Thanks for taking the time to post all those photos and details. After that much detail, I couldn't imagine why you'd keep the Devcon steel putty a secret (just a guess).:D Another good choice might be Hysol EA9330.3.

Regardless, workmanship like these bedding photos can not be duplicated without experience, patience and an eye for detail. That is where the money is. Even the tooling is obviously made with an eye for detail! What was that written on the vise block...??

Your advice about warming the individual parts before mixing is good, plus the mixing on a flat surface for thorough mixing. If the selected adhesive comes in cans, mix the individual parts thoroughly in their containers before combining A&B per the weighed out mix ratio. After all that, if bubbles are a real concern, you can vacuum degass the material in a vacuum bell. It will foam and then subside, at which point the majority of bubbles have been removed. True, more bubbles can be introduced during adhesive application.

Good release agents are MS122 and Frekote 700NC. Bonded-in components (like pillars) should be thoroughly cleaned with acetone or IPA prior to bonding.

I've never bedded an action but I deal with critical bonding processes daily at work, as a manufacturing engineer in an Aerospace composites shop.

Release agent is a commercial mold release in aerosol form. I preheat the resin/hardener prior to mixing, keep it warm during the mixing, and yet again during application. My purpose is to get it to flow and to encourage any air to rise out of the emulsion.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.