bedding question/Primer Question

larryaguilar

Which bedding kit would you guys recommend on
a synthetic stock - I have bedded wood stocks
before but never a synthetic - just worried about it not "sticking" well??

I have been working on a load for my sako 75
in 300 wby.
- 83.2 H4831 190 SMK Fed 215

Good accurate load in my gun
- I switched to Fed 210 to see what would happen - The SD went down to 10 with the
extreme spread being 40 FPS - At 3080 FPS avg

- The Fed 215 - SD is 17 with the extreme spread being 70 FPS with a slightly higher
average speed

- Using the Fed 210 will I have problems with
ignition in cold climates??
confused.gif

Hi, living in Canada, I have to contend with cooler weather so primers make a difference. So far, I have only used the Fed 215M primers so I don't have to worry about temp.

I guess it depends on how cold you mean. If not going much below freezing, the Fed 210 should be ok (test first of course). If you are planning some really cold hunts, stick to the 215. The statistics will not impress an animal and the the hangfire/misfire will definitely get your attention.

Try the match 215 primers. It may get you the same deviation and you will not have to worry about the temp.

I have found the H4831SC extreme to be temp. insensitive and my loads work in all climates I hunt. Drop tables don't change much either.

Jerry

Forgot to answer your question about the bedding compound. What do you mean by synthetic?

If this is the tupperwear injection molded stock, you are going to have problems. Clean agressively with brake cleaner to remove mold release. Drill holes and scratch up the surface very rough. You can use a knife and "cut" the surface. You want as much area for the bedding to grab onto as possible. In general, epoxy (what bedding compounds are made from) will not stick to this material so you need to use mechanical adhesion.

If this is a "fiberglass" product, then any bedding compound will work. I use the epoxy steel from Devcon, and Lepages. It comes in a two part syringe for easy mixing. Usually sold in any hardward store.

Use a good mold release like PVA - available at any plastic shop. Procedure is the same as wood. Just check it from time to time to make sure that it isn't lifting.

Jerry

I live in Michigan and shot the Fed 210M primers down to 15 degrees Then switch to Fed 215M primers and use 2g less powder. I have found my 338 Yogi with 94.7g of H1000 will shoot good down to -6 degrees with the Fed 210M primer but had 1 not fire at -6 and for my gun I just go to the 215m primer when it gets below 15 degrees. Hope this helps.
Crow Mag

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: crow mag ]

I have used the 210m's down to 10 degrees in my 300 Ultra and have not had a problem yet. I have a load I am getting a little vertical stringing in, so I will try the 215m to see if "maybe" better ignition will make this disappear.

I use nothing but Fed. primers. As far as bedding compound, I use a couple different kinds, Marine Tex and Devcon Steel.

I kinda like the Marine Tex a little better, for if doing a stock in warm weather it sets up faster.

crow mag

How does the velocity compare between the loads? You said with the 215's you reduce your load, taking this into account what velocity variations are you seeing (speed, SD, ES, etc...)?

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.