Bedding nerves

bob4

After watching vids for a week and reading I decided this would be a good morning for my first bedding job on a rem 700 in 243 I'd been thinking of selling. Now it's my Guinea pig. I'll know more tomorrow but heart was in my throat as I set my barrel in a glob of JB as all the defeatist questions come to mind. Did I fill all the cavities with clay...did I use enough wax...Sunday could be good, could be bad.

LOL!, that reminds me of my first bedding job. It was a rough 24 hours but turned out way better than I thought it would. After it's done you will be happy you did it yourself. I was also told if it didn't come apart I could put it in a freezer for a day or two and it would come apart affter that.

After it's done you will be happy you did it yourself.
Let's hope so.
I was also told if it didn't come apart I could put it in a freezer for a day or two and it would come apart affter that.
That's some freezer!Haven't heard that. It's my biggest fear that it won't come apart. I did make sure the screws would break free couple times today.

Yeah, my first bedding job had me pretty uptight and saying a few choice words. Turned out great. My second bedding job I observed epoxy coming out the bolt release button. Apparently there was enough hydraulic pressure to push past my clay. I had to remove the barreled action, clean it up and restart the whole process. Talk about a mess!

Make sure you post pics.

I too have had a few long nights of anticipation. The last one actually had to go to a professional to assist with making it right. Turned out the action holes were not squared to the center and had to be re-drilled. Just re-bedded with pillars and voila.

My first (and only so far) bedding job ever was done two days before a hunt. One day to dry one day to test and re zero.

It was awful. Didn't watch videos or anything, just bought some JB weld and asked a guy about it at work.

Guessed that Vaseline would Work to
Keep JB weld from sticking where I didn't want it to. Store didn't have vaseline. Well maybe bag balm will work.

2 hours later I have an awful smelling HS Precision stock and an off the shelf nothing done to it model 700 in .300 win mag that's bedded.

Went a little tight on the recoil lug, had to beat the action/barrel off with a rubber dead blow.

Gun shoots ragged hole cold bore groups. Bedding job accounted for about a 1/3rd MOA improvement.

Not good folks. Been working on it 40 min or so. Trigger guard and mag well came out easy enough. Must have a mech lock somewhere. All the oozed putty seems to lift off mag well and stock easy enough but the barrel will not let go. Already hurt the stock around the safety slot.. Tried putting screws back in and placing a pullet puller and hitting it with a hammer. Rubber mallet to the barrel. Most JB I see lifts off ok. Some places it's pretty stuck.

I'm Chicken to bed my rifles ....but what the heck it's only money ...lol
Hope it works out for you !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts