Bedding nerves

Generally, you put one thin piece of tape on the front of the lug and one on each side so that the rifle assembles/disassembles easily. You don't want tape on the rear side of the recoil lug as you want it to but solidly against the stock during recoil.

You could always take a dremel to it and try again, this time with tape on the front and sides of the lug.

I was nervous the first time I did this as well!

Last edited:
Generally, you put one thin piece of tape on the front of the lug and one on each side so that the rifle assembles/disassembles easily. You don't want tape on the rear side of the recoil lug as you want it to but solidly against the stock during recoil.

Yeah like a few guys have said, if you hog out a little bit of clearance between the magazine cut out and the lug slot, as well as some wood from the back of the lug slot and redo it you should have a bedding job that looks and performs like a pro gunsmithing job. Also remove some of the bedding from front and sides of the lug.

I put 2 layers of painters tape on the front and sides of the lug and coat everything generously with brownells acra release but any of the waxes or whatever seem to work. The tape will make it a lot less hairy when you go to pop the action out of the stock. Usually a firm rap on the barrel knocks it loose. Ive done several of my rifle and about 10 for friends and family and they all come out well using this method.

You could always take a dremel to it and try again, this time with tape on the front and sides of the lug, and behind the lug as well.

I was nervous the first time I did this as well!
I think not. I'll just move forward from here. I have a great bed so far. ;) If I dremel it'll be to make room for bedding behind the lug.

I'm not sure if you tried to bed behind the lug and there was not enough room for bedding material or if you didn't try. I generally remove some of the stock material before bedding to give a nice thicker layer of bedding compound throughout the stock where the action sits. You can also drill out the action screw holes and bed pillars in at the same time. I don't think you will notice an accuracy difference since the bedding job doesn't appear to interact with the action much.

Way to Bob4 ! Not many have the stones to diy a bedding project. Now that you're through the 1st one, learn from your successes and failures.

I've done a few of mine and helped some friends with theirs, they each get progressively better with experience.

I'm not sure if you tried to bed behind the lug and there was not enough room for bedding material or if you didn't try.
I did try. It all squished out.
Thanks everyone. Keep it coming. I will certainly try to improve on this job by removing material from behind the lug. By next week I'll be taking orders for bedding jobs. LMAO!

Midway USA has a glass bedding kit and a how to video, it looks so simple and easy. Larry just grabs the barrel and pulls the barrel and action out without any force... Just calm and relaxed no sweat or white knuckles :) .I have two rifles that I have not used in years, I was thinking of pillar and glass bedding them as well, his video makes it look so easy, but I am sure year's of experience helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.