Bedding in Synthetic Stock

Daddy Justin

I have a Weatherby Synthetic. Can you bed this kind of stock? I have heard that the material will not stick. Should I free float the barrel? If you have not guessed yet, I do not know much, if anything, about bedding and the different techniques. I am looking for suggestions. Last thing would be to change the stock, but if it must be done......what do you suggest? I want it to be light since it is carried up and down the mountains of California.

Thanks for the information!

Justin

Yes you can bed this stock. I have glass bedded 10-12 rem synthetic stocks and never have had a problem with the bedding sticking even with 300 weatherby and ultra mags with no muzzle brakes. The factory synthetic stocks are poor quality but bedded properly they will shoot very well. You will need to sand and drill holes in the stock where you are going to put the bedding. I bed the whole action and 2 inches of the barrel. Have had good luck with devcon and acraglas gel. I free float the barrel but have had to bed a pressure point back in a few that would not shoot well free floated.

Rem700 makes a good point about drilling holes. The problem with these stocks is that they have a form of mold release IN the plastic. You are not really getting a chemical bond with the bedding, regardless of type. You will get a mechanical bond and that is why it is important to drill lots of holes, at different angles. The acraglass gel works very well for this because it is not brittle when it sets up. I have several friends here that work with epoxies for the aero space industry (and are gun nuts too) and this is how it was explained to me. Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.