Bedding a Christensen Arms Mesa

Hey Moose39465 ! I'm gonna try the
I almost always bed my actions and typically the chamber area of the barrel, particularly on heavy barrels (I know CA isn't heavy) to ensure the barrel isn't torquing the action.

Easy enough to check action bedding/float issues. Pull the action out of the stock and see if there is uneven paint wear in the action area to indicate movement under recoil. If there is then atleast bed the action.

As a test for the barrel channel/float, put a layer or 2 of 3m 20mm pipe wrap tape in the barrel channel under the chamber area , just enough to get a slight bit of tension/support under the chamber. Bolt it back together and shoot it, if it gets better you have your answer, bed the chamber area and rock on.

Never played with a CA stock but i have had some flimsy factory stocks. What I did was since I was going to be bedding action and likely the chamber area anyways I used my trim router to make a small slot about 1/2" wide and 3/8" deep down the entire barrel channel from about 2" in front of the recoil lug to about 2" from the end of the forend. I then bedded in a 2 pieces of carbon archery arrow (stiff and light) side by side the length of the slot. Once the epoxy dried I used a deep well socket and sandpaper to shape the excess epoxy to the original barrel channel shape and painted the barrel channel. This addition was invisible and stiffened the forend immensely while only adding a few ounces of weight.
Hey MallardAddict! I'm going to order some Marine-Tex to bed the rifle, but while I'm waiting for that to arrive, I'll try the 3M

I've got a Christensen Arms Mesa chambered in 28 Nosler that I'm trying to work up loads for...I'm shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yds. The problem I'm having is that I seem to get a flier almost every 3 shot group...not necessarily the last shot ( not letting the barrel get too hot, waiting a minute or two between shots.) On these rifles, Christensen Arms puts a little dab of bedding in the recoil lug mortise area.I find the fore stock not very stiff...the barrel is free floated right to the recoil lug...so I was wondering if anybody on this site has bedded a Mesa. I also am wondering if it would help to bed entire action AND first inch or two in front of recoil lug.Also, maybe the bedding isn't the issue...any opinions or thoughts.Brand new Swarovski z3 scope in Talley one piece lightweight rings ( I don't think my scope is faulty.).I don't believe that I'm "pulling" these fliers...most of time this rifle will put two out of the three shots touching and the other shot about an inch away ( again, not always that last shot). If anyone has any suggestions , I'm all ears.Thanks for any help...BJ.
If you bed the rifle, you will break your warranty with them as an FYI. You may want to ask if they are willing to do a full bedding job and still cover it under warranty. What kind of flier are you getting in your groups? How big are the groups?

Have you checked and double checked your stock screws after shooting. I have a ridgeline and same was happening. I found my screw IN front of floor plate kept working loose. Torqued and lock tighted it no more fliers.
Hey coop2564! Yeah, both action screws staying tight....would be nice though if that were the issue...thanks, BJ.

If you bed the rifle, you will break your warranty with them as an FYI. You may want to ask if they are willing to do a full bedding job and still cover it under warranty. What kind of flier are you getting in your groups? How big are the groups?
Hey Bigeclipse! After looking ( and measuring ) all the 3 shot groups I fired in the past two weeks, I'd have to say it averages about 3/4" at 100 yds. But out of the 3 shots in most groups it will put two touching and one could be anywhere between 3/4" to 1" away..not necessarily the last shot, could be 1st or 2nd or 3rd in the group.Now, I understand that this falls under CA's sub MOA guarantee, but I just feel that the rifle can do better ( maybe my expectations are too high?).When I made the original post, I hadn't actually measured the groups with my digital caliper. ..they just looked larger than what they were...thanks for helping...BJ.

Last edited:
I had a Weatherby vanguard 270 wsm that shot very similar, someone had free floated the barrel. I had it bedded trigger job etc and still shot those type groups. I send it back to them and they put it in one of their range stocks and it shot 3/4" with factory ammo. I got it back and instead of buying range stock I sold it. My guess is your having a similar issue whether your barrel likes pressure or not and it's throwing a shot or 2. Since you have tried a lot of things already try a few business cards stacked Between the barrel and stock and reassemble and see if it changes your groupings. I don't care for rifles that have to have pressure points but Remington and Weatherby both do it. Not saying your Mesa needs pressure but it may respond well. Best wishes.

I had a Weatherby vanguard 270 wsm that shot very similar, someone had free floated the barrel. I had it bedded trigger job etc and still shot those type groups. I send it back to them and they put it in one of their range stocks and it shot 3/4" with factory ammo. I got it back and instead of buying range stock I sold it. My guess is your having a similar issue whether your barrel likes pressure or not and it's throwing a shot or 2. Since you have tried a lot of things already try a few business cards stacked Between the barrel and stock and reassemble and see if it changes your groupings. I don't care for rifles that have to have pressure points but Remington and Weatherby both do it. Not saying your Mesa needs pressure but it may respond well. Best wishes.
Hey Highvoltage! I had a Rem700 in 7mm-08 that I put a B&C Medalist stock on, I ended up bedding a pressure point a couple inches before the end of the forestock. It made a difference. ..but I went thru bullets and powder before I found that " sweet spot " or the right amount of pressure ( thickness of pressure pad ).Hey, Thanks for your suggestions. ..BJ.

I've got a Christensen Arms Mesa chambered in 28 Nosler that I'm trying to work up loads for...I'm shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yds. The problem I'm having is that I seem to get a flier almost every 3 shot group...not necessarily the last shot ( not letting the barrel get too hot, waiting a minute or two between shots.) On these rifles, Christensen Arms puts a little dab of bedding in the recoil lug mortise area.I find the fore stock not very stiff...the barrel is free floated right to the recoil lug...so I was wondering if anybody on this site has bedded a Mesa. I also am wondering if it would help to bed entire action AND first inch or two in front of recoil lug.Also, maybe the bedding isn't the issue...any opinions or thoughts.Brand new Swarovski z3 scope in Talley one piece lightweight rings ( I don't think my scope is faulty.).I don't believe that I'm "pulling" these fliers...most of time this rifle will put two out of the three shots touching and the other shot about an inch away ( again, not always that last shot). If anyone has any suggestions , I'm all ears.Thanks for any help...BJ.
I have a Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor. I could not get it to group so sent it back to Christiansen arms and they tested and sent it back showing it shot great. Still no luck for me. I finally took the rifle apart and found that the recoil lug recess was to shallow and the action was pivoting at the bottom of the recoil lug. It was bedded but as the action screws were tightened to the pillars, it was binding the action. I removed material from bottom of the lug and removed their dab of bedding and bedded the entire action from 1.5" in front of lug back to tang. So far best group is .350 at 100 using Hornady 140 ELD and still working on developing the load. I am also trying Berger 140 Hybrid Target but due to magazine length of 2.880 having to jump them .095 and they don't seem to like that much jump.

I almost always bed my actions and typically the chamber area of the barrel, particularly on heavy barrels (I know CA isn't heavy) to ensure the barrel isn't torquing the action.

Easy enough to check action bedding/float issues. Pull the action out of the stock and see if there is uneven paint wear in the action area to indicate movement under recoil. If there is then atleast bed the action.

As a test for the barrel channel/float, put a layer or 2 of 3m 20mm pipe wrap tape in the barrel channel under the chamber area , just enough to get a slight bit of tension/support under the chamber. Bolt it back together and shoot it, if it gets better you have your answer, bed the chamber area and rock on.

Never played with a CA stock but i have had some flimsy factory stocks. What I did was since I was going to be bedding action and likely the chamber area anyways I used my trim router to make a small slot about 1/2" wide and 3/8" deep down the entire barrel channel from about 2" in front of the recoil lug to about 2" from the end of the forend. I then bedded in a 2 pieces of carbon archery arrow (stiff and light) side by side the length of the slot. Once the epoxy dried I used a deep well socket and sandpaper to shape the excess epoxy to the original barrel channel shape and painted the barrel channel. This addition was invisible and stiffened the forend immensely while only adding a few ounces of weight.
I know this is an old post...but that idea on the carbon fiber arrows is brilliant!