Bed a wood stock?

jdk81

Would this be worth doing? I figure that the wood may warp/give and the epoxy would break. Is this true?

Would this be worth doing? I figure that the wood may warp/give and the epoxy would break. Is this true?

No. Wood stocks respond to glass/epoxy bedding better than most synthetics do. Most of the factory "synthetic" stocks are made of plastics that are not rigid, expand and contract as much or more than properly sealed wood, and are too slick for bedding compound to adhere properly.

The higher end fiberglass stocks with aluminum bedding blocks can and do outperform wood, but are expensive.

The cheap plastic OEM "synthetic" stocks are generally inferior to wood in nearly every respect. IMO, to outperform a properly bedded and sealed wood or laminate stock, you have to go with fiberglass stocks that incorporate an aluminum bedding block like Bell & Carlson, HS Precision, McMillan, or Manners.

A wood or laminate stock responds well to bedding. A flimsy plastic stock is best replaced with a better quality fiberglass stock. Bedding work is comparatively inexpensive.

No. Wood stocks respond to glass/epoxy bedding better than most synthetics do. Most of the factory "synthetic" stocks are made of plastics that are not rigid, expand and contract as much or more than properly sealed wood, and are too slick for bedding compound to adhere properly.

The higher end fiberglass stocks with aluminum bedding blocks can and do outperform wood, but are expensive.

The cheap plastic OEM "synthetic" stocks are generally inferior to wood in nearly every respect. IMO, to outperform a properly bedded and sealed wood or laminate stock, you have to go with fiberglass stocks that incorporate an aluminum bedding block like Bell & Carlson, HS Precision, McMillan, or Manners.

A wood or laminate stock responds well to bedding. A flimsy plastic stock is best replaced with a better quality fiberglass stock. Bedding work is comparatively inexpensive.
Didn't we already go through all this yesterday?

Last edited:
We did have the conversation about the fiberglass high end stocks being better quality, but I never asked the question about bedding a wood stock. I will be bedding the stock on the 06 because grandpa will not allow me to put a bell and carlson on it because he hates the looks.

Thanks for all the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.