Bearing Surface, Pressure and Velocity

270 MKV

so, I was thinking the other day..what effect does bearing surface have on pressure and velocity...

Reason being...I have three bullets I am working with...

the lightest one has the longest bearing surface....hmmmm

so, was wondering....

if a heavy bullet has a shorter bearing surface than a lighter bullet...what would that do to the possible load...could it indeed be loaded to a similar powder charge as the lighter bullet??

Final velocity would of course be lower...but what would peak chamber pressure do???

so, I was thinking the other day..what effect does bearing surface have on pressure and velocity...

Reason being...I have three bullets I am working with...

the lightest one has the longest bearing surface....hmmmm

so, was wondering....

if a heavy bullet has a shorter bearing surface than a lighter bullet...what would that do to the possible load...could it indeed be loaded to a similar powder charge as the lighter bullet??

Final velocity would of course be lower...but what would peak chamber pressure do???

Good question! I guess all the variables need to be calculated of course. It would depend in part on the differences in the friction bearing area and weight difference.

I can't call on much relevant experience to help except the following; Once when I was working up loads for a 270 I was experimenting with 130, 140 and 150g bullets, and all three weights were of different brands. I used identical charges - 59g - of AR2213/H4831. In the case of all three different bullets the speed was a near identical average of 2970fps with a near identical point of impact.

Not directly relevant to your query but relative somewhere on the periphery.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.