.........bear story from wy please share yours....

I would believe that the bullets penetrated the hide, but over expansion and or light for caliber bullets can most certainly cause under penetration with handguns.

That is why I prefer wide flat point hard cast bullets in my hand guns for hunting

00000009.jpg

The reference of some as to penetration in wood is not a reflection of pentration in flesh as the wood keeps the bullets from over expanding

What caliber is your Hand Gun ? Nice Photo..

BigBuck

I was in training as a OR tech at Portsmouth Naval Hospital in the 70es. Had the duty one Friday night and I was the scrub. We got a sailor in about 2200 hours with multiple gunshot wounds in the throax and abdominal cavity. His wife emptied a 38 caliber revolver into him at a distance of about 8 feet. Seems she caught him shacked up with a lady over at the Red Lion in. He lived about 6 months on the bird machine, finally got Penumonia and died. He was still conscious and talking when we put him on the table. We pulled bullets out untill 0400 hours. I do believe he took 6 rounds in total. I made up my mind right there and then that a 38 was not the gun that you want to shoot someone with, not enough stopping power. Give me a 1911 A-1 Colt 45 auto now your talken with some authority. Now having said the above, Bears are tough critters. I live and hunt now in northern B.C. Canada. I got grizz right out my front door and we got blackies a plenty. I have found that even black bears are very tough critters. They have heavy dense bone, and muscle tissue, they are super strong, and can move with lightning speed. Once they get adrenalized a 375H&H might not be enough to stop one before he gets to you and puts you in the hurt locker. A side arm would be the last weapon I would choose to stop a bear with unless it was a do or die situation and the only other thing I was holden onto was my johnson. If I were forced to choose a side arm it would be a 50 casull or a 475 linebaugh.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Last edited:
What caliber is your Hand Gun ? Nice Photo..

BigBuck

That happened in the fall of 88 and the caliber is the 475 Linebaugh. You are looking at the frist Grizz and Moose taken with the 475.. They are impressive and the 500 Linebaugh and JRH hit game even harder

That happened in the fall of 88 and the caliber is the 475 Linebaugh. You are looking at the frist Grizz and Moose taken with the 475.. They are impressive and the 500 Linebaugh and JRH hit game even harder

Thanks I'm going to have to look them up in my loading manuals. Did you shoot the Grizz and moose in the picture ? and can you tell me how far they were when you shot them ? I'm thinking you have some pretty BIG MTN OYSTERS :D

BigBuck

Eaglesnestar, what ever happened to the wife? I'm assuming she was charged, convicted and imprisoned.

Thanks I'm going to have to look them up in my loading manuals. Did you shoot the Grizz and moose in the picture ? and can you tell me how far they were when you shot them ? I'm thinking you have some pretty BIG MTN OYSTERS :D

BigBuck

Yes the Moose and the bear on the left.

My pastor was an evangelist for 11 years before he took our church , he had a preacher friend from Wyoming that guides hunts on the side . Before I go into the short story I would like to say that I had recently bought a kimber 45 ACP I always thought that a 45 auto would be more than enough power to take care of a bear or worst case just empty the clip into it . Well the story I had been told the other day really got me to thinking so I figured I would share it with you fellas and maybe you could add some more stories to the post . My pastor said that his preacher friend (the guide) told him that they usually hunt in a group while hunting bears and this one time their was a police officer in the group that was carrying a 40 Cal. hand gun . They had a bear charge them as the bear approached the police officer he unloaded 9 rounds into the bear before it stoped the bear raised up and another hunter shot it right below the head with a 30-06 the bullet turned up and hit the bear in the brain killing it . This is the part of the story that got me to thinking . When they had skinned the bear it had 9 welts on it's hide none of the rounds had penetrated . So my big bad 45 doesn't seem so bad anymore:rolleyes: .
Question Do you think that the type of officer issued ammo caused this and was the reason for Non penetration? Or is the bears that tough ? Please leave your stories concerning bears if you have some and thanks for looking.

BigBuck
Interesting old thread

I'm sorry but I don't see a .40 cal not penetrating. Perhaps the story has been retold a few times with a little alcohol involved…… Or maybe something was defective. Something isn't right anyway you look at it.
I've watched a guy on TV kill a Cape Buffalo with a .40 handgun. IMHO a buff is one heck of a lot tougher.
Bruce