Bear spray vs Bullets

My preference is to carry a 40s&w glock in blackbear country, and 10mm or 460 Rowland glock in lower 48 Grizzly country. However, when in Grizzly country, I also usually carry bear spray. If I encounter a bear and the situation allows me to retreat without shooting it I will, but such is not always the case. I too have had bear spray fail...

My wife and I were on a short hike behind our cabin, giving our pack goats a bit of exercise. Archery Elk started in a day or two if I recall. We were coming down a steep hill to a creek, I was in the lead and the 3 goats were between us, spread out over about 20 yards. Just as I reached the creek, I turned around just in time to see a young blackbear chasing the goats down the hill and into the creek from behind me. I called the goats over and held their collars while my wife crossed a few more yards downstream, and a but closer to the bear. The bear had stopped short when he saw us, but was still too close for comfort, so she sprayed at it with the canister. I watched the spray cloud go about half of the 5-10 yard distance from her to the bear... so I sprayed mine, with a similar result. The bear just sat there... she was carrying a 223 with a 30rd clip, and I had a 44mag by the way, so they were out as well... The bear seemed confused by the residual suspended cloud of pepper spray, and started to circle around us trying to get a better look. We agreed that he was acting more curious at that point than threatening, so we decided to let the situation play out a bit. He proceeded to circle us 3 times over the course of about 10 minutes. Never came any closer than 15 yards after the initial charge and standoff. However, he wasn't leaving, so I fired a half dozen off the 223 at a stump next to him, before he finally loped up and over the hill so we could continue our hike.

I was less than impressed with the range of the spray, perhaps they were old cans, this was about 14 years ago. But since then, I've seen bear spray sprayed in person and I would expect generally to cut the advertised distance in half. Need to have the nerves to wait till the bear is nearly on top of you to spray it effectively, and only do so if the wind is in your favor. Bottom line is... bullets and spray both are tools, both have their place depending on the situation.

As a side note... be sure to carefully wash your hands after even looking at a can of bear spray that has been activated... especially before using the john... or else you will regret your life's choices to that moment... just sayin

I had a real life experience about 12 years ago, my hunting partner had bear spray, and I carried a 44 magnum pistol. We had a black bear that kept showing up all morning as we were hunting elk, and seem to be following us. We tried the yelling and screaming and telling the bearer to go away, it didn't seem to be working for this bear. At one point we finally stood our ground and the bear just kept walking slowly towards us growling and popping his jaw. He got within about 15 feet and my partner sprayed him with bear spray, at that point it really upset him and he accelerated his move in on us. I already had my 44 magnum pistol drawn and aimed at him he got to about 6 feet from us and I fired striking him in his left eye and killed him instantly. It was asked earlier why a 44 magnum instead of one of the larger caliber pistols. I'm very accurate with my 44 mag, and the follow up shots are just as accurate. I tried a 500 Smith & Wesson, and it was not as accurate for me. I found a 44 mag to be more trustworthy for me . So I always carry my pistol, I don't worry about the bear spray.

Based on your real life scenario I've always wondered if a double action revolver is a better choice over a single action only? Not sure you would be gaining much of one versus the other

Based on your real life scenario I've always wondered if a double action revolver is a better choice over a single action only? Not sure you would be gaining much of one versus the other

Double action. No two scenarios are going to be identical.
If your off hand / arm is in a bear's mouth, you can empty the double action revolver onto the beast with your firing arm / hand.

Last edited:
I have both, the single action and my double action Smith and Wesson. I carry the double action now, it's the Titanium version. I did Carrie the single action for about 25 years, I much prefer the double action I have now. In a stressful situation I think it could actually save your life. Just my opinion.

I'd never trust the governments review of spray versus gun. I'd have to review each encounter, at first glance the % are irrevelant, and % likelihood is generic, it could be a sample of 4 encounters! How about 1000? Also, if the % harmed may have come from someone with poor skills, gun jamming or maybe the dingdong only had a 22 pistol. I'd think it best to have both spray and a magnum of some source, also, full metal jacket ammo as that is the only ammo to go penetrate the brain. And the brain is the best shot and up close although that sounds scary right. Again, what ammo was the defender using?

My brother in law got a brand new can of bear spray and hunted where he had been run out of the area by the black bear.I had been run out of that area by the same bear so it happened too fast to do much and my brother in law pulled brand new can bear spray out aimed it towards the bear and it went poof and was done.Almost all of the air or gas was gone and to make matters worse the wind brought the small amount of spray back on my brother in law.He fell to the ground to try to breathe and he guessed the bear thought he didn't want to attack a human today.
Spray cans can fail,I have had paint cans that were dead,no air to push the paint out so if I have to I will carry bear spray and my 44 mag.Just my opinion

A Ruger black hawk in 45 long colt would be a great option. These pistols are very strong where you can shoot a 300g bullet at some very good speeds.

Most people think of the 45 LC as a cow boy round, but in the Ruger, it dwarfs the 44 Mag. I prefer this 45 LC in a Ruger over a 454 Casul

Havnt gotten through all of this yet so forgive me if someone already chimed in... have read lots of reports regarding using what I believe is the preferred angry bear deterrent... bullets... have not found any accounts where spray was actually used.

In a perfect world, I love the concept of not needing to end a bear's life, but relate the use of spraying to experience with pepper spray in law enforcement... sometimes that escalates a situation with a person and not to mention that the spray still affects the people that deployed it to some degree... I know the one thing I have learned so far is that if there is one thing I definitely do not want to do in a bear attack it is escalating it... and that talking to a bear in a child like voice isn't really going to keep them from eating me.

Havnt gotten through all of this yet so forgive me if someone already chimed in... have read lots of reports regarding using what I believe is the preferred angry bear deterrent... bullets... have not found any accounts where spray was actually used.

In a perfect world, I love the concept of not needing to end a bear's life, but relate the use of spraying to experience with pepper spray in law enforcement... sometimes that escalates a situation with a person and not to mention that the spray still affects the people that deployed it to some degree... I know the one thing I have learned so far is that if there is one thing I definitely do not want to do in a bear attack it is escalating it... and that talking to a bear in a child like voice isn't really going to keep them from eating me.
Lots of videos on youtube of bear spray being very effective.

I carry both, spray and a side arm. If I were to have to chose, I would try using the spray first and then my side arm as a last resort. I will say, using the spray would definitely be dependent on wind direction…