Bear spray vs Bullets

Having grown up hunting in NW MT,it was common sense to pack a side arm for G bears.Lots of other spots I hunt, different states etc,preditors became a common theme,my hunting buddy was stalked by two cats,my son stalked by one near our home and others,plus wolf run ins archery.Now I feel my hand has been forced to carry.My father in law has spent many of his 86 years hiking Glacier Park written 3 books on the area and was involved in parts of The Night of the Grizzles as was my father being chased out of Trout Lake by rouge grizz one month before the grizzly fatalities there,he warned the Park.My father in law is big advicate of spray,they have turned bears,he use to hike once a week in park for over 50 years. Im not I shot on state champ pistol team well versed in most weapons,same for my Marine double expert son,we carry 44's and are in the majority off the local hunting area.

I think being bear aware and what to do is key on your choice. Bear spray may work in most instances but there will be the instances where you need a firearm. Do your research and read quality books from scientist, researchers, and those that have a lot more experience than yourself. I am talking about individuals such as David Peacock not Timothy Treadwell. Learn as much as you can to avoid as many bad encounters as you can. Store food properly and follow rules that tend to avoid human/bear contacts. Luckily I don't live or visit where there are grizzly, but I do plan on going to Glacier. I would love to see a grizzly in the wild as long as it was way,way,way over there.

Why isn't my can of bear spay and my rifle good enough? why do I also need to carry a 4-5lb hand gun? I think I'm pretty handy with a rifle. I haven't heard about spay cans not working. That does concern me a lot.
My Taurus 425 .41 Mag only weighs 3lbs loaded.

It's handy to wear on the hip, cross draw, or shoulder carry. Deploying it takes a fraction of the time it takes to drop a pack or pull a rifle from a scabbard.

Is it a comfort thing? Bear spray in hand or firearm?

I have seen Griz blow right throw a cloud of bear spray with only making a huff and continue the charge. Without the firearm as the deterrent, someone would be bear poop today.

Oh, and is it windy in the mountains? Caution; don't be on the down wind side when the spray is deployed.

Bring bear spray if you want, but you may consider a firearm as well.

I started carrying a 44mag during archery season because of the huge population of black bears where I hunt. I bump into them all the time, and none of them have ever been aggressive. What I wonder is if bear spray would be effective on the single bear that decided it wanted to eat me, or on the mom bear that was trying to protect her cubs. I think the chances are low with black bears, and if they're in the mindset to attack, I do feel more comfortable with my 44.

I don't shoot handguns all that much, but I do make an effort in the summers to quick draw and unload into a stump for practice.

For those of us that hunt with long-range rifles, I wonder how many of us would be successful at shooting/killing a charging bear from inside of 20 yards. Hard to hit things up close with those rifles.

A lot of the evidence that bullets are better than spray is not going to make it online, killing a grizzly bear around here will likely involve an anal probing by federal officials and you'd better hope there is good evidence that you had to kill them so guys who have experience with grizzly messes don't really wave the flag of experience!!

The goal in my opinion is to have folks more afraid of prosecution than they are of bears. "Studies" touting spray help prosecution by validating non lethal methods of defense.

The goal in my opinion is to have folks more afraid of prosecution than they are of bears. "Studies" touting spray help prosecution by validating non lethal methods of defense.

I would agree with that, there are groups that keep an ear out and watch for bear incidents and they will make sure the Feds get involved even if the local officials look everything over and call it a fair play, their definitely only worried about the dollars the grizz is putting in their pockets, of course they figure out to make a dollar of the grizz dead and alive!!

For those of us that hunt with long-range rifles, I wonder how many of us would be successful at shooting/killing a charging bear from inside of 20 yards. Hard to hit things up close with those rifles.

I've never been in that situation but I have shot hundreds of coyotes charging at me full speed while calling. I think I could pull off a good shot if I'm not too busy cropping my camos.

Why do most of you carry 44 mags instead of 460 S&W or 454 or even 500 S&W?
You wouldn't want to shoot any of those super mags in a platform you'd want to carry in the woods as a defensive "just in case" weapon. The recoil and blast from those calibers in a short barreled "carry gun" are both enormous. Hard to get off an accurate second, third, fourth, etc shot if your wrist breaks or you drop it on the first one.

I carry a .454 Casull Ruger Alaskan. 2 1/2" barrel. It's the same gun Greg Brush used to kill the brown bear that charged him in 2009. I live close to where this bear was killed.

Charging Bear Killed in Alaska | Field & Stream

You can listen to an interview of Greg Brush describing the incident and the weapon used. August 23, 2009 interview here: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/4/6/8/468...24668490&hwt=74487e94b8da7b3a25223315cd621c78

I carry a .454 Casull Ruger Alaskan. 2 1/2" barrel. It's the same gun Greg Brush used to kill the brown bear that charged him in 2009. I live close to where this bear was killed.

Charging Bear Killed in Alaska | Field & Stream

You can listen to an interview of Greg Brush describing the incident and the weapon used. August 23, 2009 interview here: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/4/6/8/468...24668490&hwt=74487e94b8da7b3a25223315cd621c78
You're tougher than I am! I've shot a friends "Linebaugh Special" a few times and that's about as much handgun as I want to fire with less than an 8" Barrel and comp.

I carry a glock 23 40s&w which I shoot really really good. I have fmj loaded in bear country. I also have a s&w 686 plus seven shot 357 that is a great shooter. I have a 44 that I can not shoot for crap! It is too much for me, I figure bullets in the brain pan are better then misses!
A 400-500 pound grizzly is huge where I am.