Bear rifle model

I was in this boat awhile back... I went with a CZ 550 in 375 h&h. Things i did to it to get it ready to go. Band C stock. ceracoated everything. The gun shoots inside of 1 moa, and is just actually a joy to shoot. my 14 yo used it last fall buffalo hunting. I put quick detatch rings and a Luepold vx v 3 to 15. have shot it out to 400 yards. Controlled feed is key... 270 gr. lrx seemed to be good medicine.

Last edited:
My first bear rifle was a Win Model 70 Super Grade in 338WM....Phil Shoemaker was not a fan of the cartridge at the time, but I swayed him and his daughters' beliefs using Speer 275g semi spritzers. That rifle got rusty under the wood every day and then shifted POI.
Next was a Win Model 70 Classic Stainless in 375H&H that I re-chambered to 375 Weatherby the same day I bought it. It wears a HS Precision Sporter stick grey/black webbing and has been soda blasted on all metal surfaces. I have a 24" barrel and it wears a 2-7x32 compact scope. I have found this combo perfect on this rifle, a 458 Lott and 416 Rigby. In 2x power it's like looking over the top of the scope with ample vision for running shots.
This rifle is a dandy bear/buffalo/elk killer that I use it most often, but also have used other 338's, 300's and even 416's, but I always go back to the 375 cal. I even bought a Kimber Talkeetna in 375H&H for a hunt, but it never happened due to COVID.
Needed a light heavy hitter and all of my other Kimbers are fantastic shooters and soak up recoil very well.
Best load I could get was a 300g Woodleigh @ 2610fps in the 24" barrel using 80g of H4350. WLRM primer in Winchester brass.
I like CRF rifles, and nothing can sway me from that. For me, this is a BIG positive.
I own PF rifles, all are Remington based, and no matter which one I'm using, I always forget to close, or semi close, the bolt and end up leaving a cartridge in the chamber and then rack another one into the first...wouldn't want this to happen when a bear is coming at you at 30mph.
So, my recommendation is a Win Model 70 S/S (stainless/synthetic) Kimber Talkeetna or Ruger S/S.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I used my early Remington 700 AWR in .375H&H with a Swift bullet. Worked perfect. The bear had no argument either.
t1eVCpclRi+1qc75hWK0jA.jpg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_119.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_119.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 170
My first bear rifle was a Win Model 70 Super Grade in 338WM....Phil Shoemaker was not a fan of the cartridge at the time, but I swayed him and his daughters' beliefs using Speer 275g semi spritzers. That rifle got rusty under the wood every day and then shifted POI.
Next was a Win Model 70 Classic Stainless in 375H&H that I re-chambered to 375 Weatherby the same day I bought it. It wears a HS Precision Sporter stick grey/black webbing and has been soda blasted on all metal surfaces. I have a 24" barrel and it wears a 2-7x32 compact scope. I have found this combo perfect on this rifle, a 458 Lott and 416 Rigby. In 2x power it's like looking over the top of the scope with ample vision for running shots.
This rifle is a dandy bear/buffalo/elk killer that I use it most often, but also have used other 338's, 300's and even 416's, but I always go back to the 375 cal. I even bought a Kimber Talkeetna in 375H&H for a hunt, but it never happened due to COVID.
Needed a light heavy hitter and all of my other Kimbers are fantastic shooters and soak up recoil very well.
Best load I could get was a 300g Woodleigh @ 2610fps in the 24" barrel using 80g of H4350. WLRM primer in Winchester brass.
I like CRF rifles, and nothing can sway me from that. For me, this is a BIG positive.
I own PF rifles, all are Remington based, and no matter which one I'm using, I always forget to close, or semi close, the bolt and end up leaving a cartridge in the chamber and then rack another one into the first...wouldn't want this to happen when a bear is coming at you at 30mph.
So, my recommendation is a Win Model 70 S/S (stainless/synthetic) Kimber Talkeetna or Ruger S/S.

Cheers.
Why would you leave the chamber open when hunting? Chamber loaded, safety on….

Why would you leave the chamber open when hunting? Chamber loaded, safety on….
On rifles without a 3 position safety I don't keep a round loaded in the chamber.
Learnt a long time ago that this caused confusion for me.
I have only ever owned ONE PF DG rifles, a 416RM Alaskan, I jammed it up in the above description on a charging buff.

Cheers.