Bear Revenge

Well now let's go ahead and full derail into some bear jokes shall we?

First up, I heard a good one on the radio a good while ago….

"You should always wear little bells on your hat or belt when in bear country so as not to startle the bears…it's also very important to know what kind of bears inhabit the region, and the good news is you can tell by their droppings alone…black bear poop is full of fruit seeds and pits….grizzly bear poop is full of little bells! 🤣
and it smells like pepper spray!

Well now let's go ahead and full derail into some bear jokes shall we?

First up, I heard a good one on the radio a good while ago….

"You should always wear little bells on your hat or belt when in bear country so as not to startle the bears…it's also very important to know what kind of bears inhabit the region, and the good news is you can tell by their droppings alone…black bear poop is full of fruit seeds and pits….grizzly bear poop is full of little bells! 🤣
Lol. Heard about that . I never had a thought about that hunting around black bears for years. Trust me, there are many. They killed a boy scout in tent for his tooth paste in camp ground I San Bernardino Nat. Forest. Look it up. From there down to north fork of Santa Ana river there was a big population of black bears. I back packed 10 mi. in from south desert side. Where I slept there were claw marks on alder trees by creek. I couldn't reach some of them. Sleeping alone in bag was scary. First night not much sleep. Second night too tired to care. I always had a pistol in my bag and rifle next to me. A friend went with me sometimes . I don't know if his snoring scared bears away or would attack them. I always thought the latter. I saw black, brown, cinnamon and blond bears there. Never during deer season. I saw a red phase chasing a doe down middle of river once. I ended that with a shot into river. I have a great series of photos of a sow blond phase with two cubs . They heard me. Mom stould up on hind legs then cubs. Wasn't deer season and all I had was a Ruger Mk. IV 22 auto. They were about 125 yards from me. I said see ya !
Bighorn sheep there butting heads. In Jan. 2003 I shot a bighorn there. Few nice bucks. Never a bear.

The black bear is not a critter to underestimate at all. More mauling occur from them than others. They are not the cartoon bib overall characters portrayed by dimwit Disney. When I hunted Adirondacks there was always a close call getting too close to sow, kill site, beech nut trees where they love to plow into them and just sleep under them, no clue why but outhouse? 99% time big whoof and take off like runaway bulldozer! But couple times snapping jaws but encouraged to leave with shot placement between legs. On a 5 day hunt, would see as many bears as deer. Funniest was one of the guys left bag of apples in old IH Scout on front seat. BAD IDEA!! Bear got claws in behind door window and just peeled it open. Surprised it didn't pick up the Scout and leave with it.

When I shoot a brown bear, he eventually goes down, and he appears dead (has been motionless for a bit), I now shoot him again with a different "bear" bullet. So I get to test bullet performance on the real thing, with two different bullets. Have to wait another 4 years for the next brown bear permit application period here, depending on where you hunt them. So bullet performance testing opportunities on bear are limited. This way I get 2 bullet tests per bear🐻

Also helps to make sure he's not suckering me in for his last kill. Playing possum on me. Never had one move yet on my 2nd bullet test...

Last edited:
The black bear is not a critter to underestimate at all. More mauling occur from them than others. They are not the cartoon bib overall characters portrayed by dimwit Disney. When I hunted Adirondacks there was always a close call getting too close to sow, kill site, beech nut trees where they love to plow into them and just sleep under them, no clue why but outhouse? 99% time big whoof and take off like runaway bulldozer! But couple times snapping jaws but encouraged to leave with shot placement between legs. On a 5 day hunt, would see as many bears as deer. Funniest was one of the guys left bag of apples in old IH Scout on front seat. BAD IDEA!! Bear got claws in behind door window and just peeled it open. Surprised it didn't pick up the Scout and leave with it.
Yogi and boo boo live near Caroga lake. I saw them at the amusement park. Yogi had bullet holes in his hat. Said something about 1975 and Muddyboots. He was old. Boo boo had to translate . He said something about picnic baskets and the Ranger. He asked me which way to Jellystone Park. I don't think I said the correct way. Haven't seen them since. Maybe you shot him ,😳

Additionally I heard a funny list of suggestions on how react if a bear is coming at you (don't know if any of these are real advice)

1. Black bear - deep down they actually avoid confrontation at all costs, so make yourself big and loud and let them know they're gonna have a fight on their hands. Act crazy and aggressive.

2. Grizzly - play dead! They are very confrontational and if you submit they might let you live

3. Polar bear - Pray. That is all.
we have had two men eatten by black bears up here and one woman two were in or on there own Cabins if a black bear wants you it for one thing FOOD a grizz might mess you up bad and then walk away some times

Yogi and boo boo live near Caroga lake. I saw them at the amusement park. Yogi had bullet holes in his hat. Said something about 1975 and Muddyboots. He was old. Boo boo had to translate . He said something about picnic baskets and the Ranger. He asked me which way to Jellystone Park. I don't think I said the correct way. Haven't seen them since. Maybe you shot him ,😳
Prob couldn't see them from too much draft beer.! Really don't know how we got back to Speculator over those winding dark as coal roads!

Had a black bear follow my scent trail up to within 20 feet of me while hunting black bear in the Kenai Mt range of Alaska. Snuck in toward me slowly and very deliberately, from 15 yards to 7 yards distant, while we stared each other down. Then he started to circle, showing me his side profile. Like he was attempting to look big, bad, and tough. Never took his eyes off me. I never took mine off him.

With the rifle at my shoulder and ready to fire, I made a quick wave motion with my shooting arm, to further see what he was about. He shifted his shoulder and head away quickly as if he was going to flee. But stopped that motion as quick as he'd started it, without ever having lifted his front feet. Then he swung his head and shoulder back at me again, staring at me like I owed him a bunch of money. Like dogs look at each other just before they fight.

He knew I was people all along as he came in from directly down wind of me. And as soon as he came into view, his eyes were locked onto me.

My curiosity was past being satisfied. His demeanor was WAY unhealthy for a wild black bear. I pasted him just behind the shoulders with a 7mm RM and a 160gr Accubond. There was the slightest of a hesitation from him. As if he was deciding to fight or flee. Then he busted off 35yds and piled up with a death bawl.

About my easiest black bear ever, as far as hunting black bear goes. He gave every appearance of a predatory stalk. Had I not had my firearm, I would have found out exactly what his intentions were. And I suspect, the hard way...

I think you guys are looking at this wrong. Nobody knows how this actually played out except the bear and the man, and we can't get their stories. I'd much rather be killed by a bear that I was trying to kill, than die in a diaper surrounded by strangers, years after my mind has failed. If my last minutes are in mortal combat with a predator that I was actively hunting, don't pity me, or call me a fool. It's easy to forget that hunting is an inherently risky activity, and all the more so when hunting giant Russian brown bears. He wasn't an idiot, but he made a mistake. Maybe he has killed a hundred brown bears in his life, and on his last day on earth, bear number 101 won the fight. I hope for a worthwhile death some day, not wasting away in a nursing home for a decade or more.
I feel the same