Bear protection handguns?

Quintas-much as I like the Birds Heads (and this is just me...) but I just couldn't take a single action for bear protection....and yes I am fully aware of the rounds that can come in a single action. By the way, the 357 with a good Cast Core or Buffalo Bore is more than capable and unlike a lot of other rounds it's controllable:)

A friend of mine carries his S&W 360 on most of his back country jaunts. Loaded with Cast Cores.

Quintas-much as I like the Birds Heads (and this is just me...) but I just couldn't take a single action for bear protection....and yes I am fully aware of the rounds that can come in a single action. By the way, the 357 with a good Cast Core or Buffalo Bore is more than capable and unlike a lot of other rounds it's controllable:)

A friend of mine carries his S&W 360 on most of his back country jaunts. Loaded with Cast Cores.
I respectfully disagree! Many years ago, I shot an adrenaline pumped raccoon, two times, both in a kill zone ( either shot would have killed) , using 160 grain bullet at absolute max. charges! The raccoon fell off of the limb and ran about 30 or so yards. From time of first shot, to the end of his run would have been more than sufficient time for a bear.....any bear, to make mince-meat of a human! That was my deer hunting handgun at the time.....it was immediately retired! Once moving up to a 44, well placed shots on much larger aninals made for "well dead" animals!

Over baits, or treed by dogs.....the .357 may be quite adequate! But, it ain't no stopping round! JMO. memtb

That's cool, I totally understand. But, IMO "stopping" a bear is about CNS and for that we need accuracy and placement. Just my way is all, we all have our ways and that's the beauty of this all.

I've said this b4, but back when I was guiding for black bear I had two of them come for me with intent! I shot the first one @ 9' with a 25/06. One shot and lights out. The 2nd one I shot at 15' with my 22/250. One shot and lights out. Both times I shot them just under the chin.

It's my opine that if I'd of shot them in the body with any round at that range that they'd still had me.

I respectfully disagree! Many years ago, I shot an adrenaline pumped raccoon, two times, both in a kill zone ( either shot would have killed) , using 160 grain bullet at absolute max. charges! The raccoon fell off of the limb and ran about 30 or so yards. From time of first shot, to the end of his run would have been more than sufficient time for a bear.....any bear, to make mince-meat of a human! That was my deer hunting handgun at the time.....it was immediately retired! Once moving up to a 44, well placed shots on much larger aninals made for "well dead" animals!

Over baits, or treed by dogs.....the .357 may be quite adequate! But, it ain't no stopping round! JMO. memtb
I remember seeing an article in a major mag and on the internet. There was a hunter and guide in a blind, the hunter shot a Leopard that was in an tree, off of a bait. He was using a 375HH and the hit was good. The Leopard jumped out of the tree and ran towards the blind where the hunter and guide was in. The Leopard ran so fast and covered the 50 yards in a split second that neither the shooter or guide got another shot off. Luckily the Leopard died at the blind's edge. When they examined the Leopard-the Leopard had his heart shot out from the 375H&H!
Just goes to show you how much an animal can move with adrenalin in their system.

Again, you can not carry anything but archery equipment during archery season. No guns! None! you can during modern firearms season but that's it. You can have a black powder pistol during primitive firearms season but only to dispatch downed game. here's my advice too the OP, wear a safety harness while in a tree stand, you have a much better chance of bodily injury from a fall than a bear mauling.

Hello
Next season I plan to hunt deer in Arkansas. I am told that from time to time bears pass through the lease. With this in mind, what is a good, dependable handgun (that won't break the bank) to carry for protection? I hear that the Glock 20 (10 mm) is a solid choice. Any other guns to c

44mag. 430gr buffalo bore; Muzzle 2000 FPS
I think you mistyped that man…
I don't think it's possible to push a bullet that big in the 44 without a custom twist. Even if you could push it down a 26" rifle barrel, I think you'd be quite lucky to safely realize 1500fps.
I used to hotrod my custom 16" Marlin chambered in 44 Mag with a stretched action to handle a COAL of 1.74" and with a HEAVY dose of H110, I could only get 320gr hardcasts just over 1700' in that gun.

Bought this just for the trip to San Juan National Forest.

G40 MOS, RMR 6 MOA Dot, KKM barrel, Carver brake, Kenai holster. Double Tap hard cast

20211114_090154.jpg

Ditched it after a day, rifle at port arms was plenty assuring for me.

G40 might be up for sale minus the RMR 6 MOA dot that will be transferred to the SIG M17.