Bear protection handguns?

So after the past three years of hunters and trappers catching pics of Grizz in our area, Idaho Fish & Game has admitted that they are here. We currently have five in my hunting area which starts 1 mile from my house.
I know black bears. I have been close enough to shake hands on more than a few occasions. Aside from an angry sow on occasion they just want to get through life without being bothered. I have only had to pepper spray two blackies in 40+ years of hunting.
Grizz on the other hand, I want nothing to do with them. I saw a 900 pound Grizz from 15' away a few years ago and they are an entirely different bear.
I still carry pepper spray, but I also carry big bear medicine now.
Bottom - Freedom Arms 83 .475 Linebaugh
Top - Huntington custom
on a MR BFR frame .500 JRH
Both shoot 440 grain LBT WFN hardcasts @ 1350 fps.
FA 83 & BFR cropped.jpg

Hello
Next season I plan to hunt deer in Arkansas. I am told that from time to time bears pass through the lease. With this in mind, what is a good, dependable handgun (that won't break the bank) to carry for protection? I hear that the Glock 20 (10 mm) is a solid choice. Any other guns to consider?
If you're bow hunting you can't have a handgun with you. otherwise your stuck with what the regulations say you can have with you depending on season.

So after the past three years of hunters and trappers catching pics of Grizz in our area, Idaho Fish & Game has admitted that they are here. We currently have five in my hunting area which starts 1 mile from my house.
I know black bears. I have been close enough to shake hands on more than a few occasions. Aside from an angry sow on occasion they just want to get through life without being bothered. I have only had to pepper spray two blackies in 40+ years of hunting.
Grizz on the other hand, I want nothing to do with them. I saw a 900 pound Grizz from 15' away a few years ago and they are an entirely different bear.
I still carry pepper spray, but I also carry big bear medicine now.
Bottom - Freedom Arms 83 .475 Linebaugh
Top - Huntington custom
on a MR BFR frame .500 JRH
Both shoot 440 grain LBT WFN hardcasts @ 1350 fps.
View attachment 293146
Those are 2 Fine-Looking revolvers !!!

I bet that either/both of them are a HANDFUL , when the hammer drops .

DMP25-06

Right up to the point that they are not
The assumption any animal isn't dangerous is what gets people in trouble.

Got a friend learning the raccoons that were cute last month have turned into little terrorist. No bites yet but aggressive display.

I love watching the videos of Yellowstone bison petting.

Once upon a time I was asked if my horse kicked. I don't really know, never give him a chance.

only time I had a scare was when a raccoon got stuck in a bait barrel. Don't know how he got stuck, or how long he was in there . All I know is he was very ready to get out. When I lifted the lid just a little, he made his move. He knocked the lid out of my hands , I screamed like a girl, pee'd myself and maybe sh$t a little also. I thought the devil had me. I'll never open a bait barrel again without whacking it with a stick first.

only time I had a scare was when a raccoon got stuck in a bait barrel. Don't know how he got stuck, or how long he was in there . All I know is he was very ready to get out. When I lifted the lid just a little, he made his move. He knocked the lid out of my hands , I screamed like a girl, pee'd myself and maybe sh$t a little also. I thought the devil had me. I'll never open a bait barrel again without whacking it with a stick first.
Nice to see you Bud

I know some guides in Ontario that treat bears like pets. They are in the bait right after they hear the quad roll in. Baiters just keep baiting while they move in for food. They crawl on the quads to lick the liquids off the racks and are curious. That's a real strange scenario for me. I've had bluff charges by black bears. It's nothing I want to see again. I don't ever know what a bear is thinking. They may want that food bad enough to eliminate me from the equation. Never trust a bear. That's my thought and I believe its the way to think in bear country.

I may be offend some BEAR hunters with this. I have a good friend that pays a so called PH in Canada Thousands of dollars to do a bear hunt. He gets to their lodge and the guide asks everyone which bear they want to shoot. They have a bulletin board with pictures of bears that they have been feed all year at specific spots. The guides also have videos. You as the "HUNTER" picks out a Bear and then the guides take you to a stand next to several barrels of bait. The guide puts you in the stand - probably 25-50yards away and tells you to watch your clock. The bear you want will come in at such a time. The bear you want among others come in for the bait and you shoot it. Then you go home and say "I am a BEAR HUNTER" and have a rug or head mount made.
I truly feel sorry for these type of hunters-THEY ARE NOT HUNTERS!!!
Hunting means that you go and HUNT-not sit and wait for tame baited bears to be shot like fish in a barrel.
Just my opinion. Now you can't hunt Brown's like that-You need to spot and stock.