Bear protection handguns?

Gillham. Do you hunt in Arkansas?
Yes, all my life. I've hunted all over the US and other countries, but this is home and I always hunt here too. Looks like you will be hunting in a part of the State where you can actually hunt them. You can bait them on private land. Without bait you will be very fortunate to actually see one in that area. They are very shy and skiddish where they are hunted.

Last edited:
Great post and info. I am leaning towards the Glock 20. My lease is in Arkansas (1st year hunting there as I am in Texas). Now the fun part about Finding the Glock 20 and ammo!

I carry a G20, a couple things for you to consider...put a fiber optic front on it(sure helps me and my mature eyes), consider a Gunfighter Kenai holster and when you can get it consider getting whatever ammo you can for practice and something like Buffalo Bore for serious work.

Just a thunk

10mm is excellent cartridge and will handle all you need. I own a g20 a g29 10 mm and a smith and wesson 1066 my next handgun will be a g40 in 10mm i have a 357 sig barrel and a 9x25 dillion barrel for my g20. You can buy the 9x25 dillion the 40 cal and 357 sig barrels for g20 and shoot 4 calibers out of one gun.

My g20 with a reflex sight and 9x25 dillion barsto barrel

Attachments

• 1116202259.jpg
    1116202259.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 57
I carry a G20, a couple things for you to consider...put a fiber optic front on it(sure helps me and my mature eyes), consider a Gunfighter Kenai holster and when you can get it consider getting whatever ammo you can for practice and something like Buffalo Bore for serious work.

Just a thunk
Yes sir. That is the holster I plan to buy as well.

What part of the State is your lease in? Make sure and get a CCWL if you are carrying and it is not gun deer season. Although we are a Constitutional carry state, you can have issues if carrying in known game cover with the Game and Fish. They can and will ticket you for hunting out of season or hunting with an improper weapon. There is no defense other than a CCWL. You cannot hunt with your pistol unless there is an open season that it is legal for. They don't play at all during bow and muzzleloader season. No need to get in trouble.
Thanks ! The lease is in Gillham. I have my LTC for Texas and I believe there is reciprocity with Arkansas. I will check to make sure. Thanks for the advice.

Here is the thing about bears in Arkansas. I'm 62 and have hunted here all my life.in areas they are hunted I have never seen one outside of a baited area. Lots of tracks but no bears. I think when hunted they become even more nocturnal than hogs. Stent a lot of time in those mountains turkey hunting too. Where the season is closed, they are a real pain. They tear up feeders, deer stands and atv's, and could care less if you are present for it or not. And, if you shoot one there you better be bleeding or no one better find out. Where he is hunting he's more likely to run into Bigfoot unless he baits them. Plenty of snakes though. Always go out armed with something and wear good tall snake boots. Also he may run into folks that are not hunting occasionally. Can get very uncomfortable unarmed.