Bear protection handguns?

I firmly believe the only true test of bear spray is the failures to deter the bears intent on killing. When the use of the bear spray still results in death by bear.

Why?
I think spray may repel bears that lack a full determination to kill. And when it works on these wimp bears, it lulls people into believing bear spray will protect them. And it supports Government officials intent on sparing bear lives by recommending bear spray. National Refuge and National Parks officials.

You want to deter a bear attack, it's pretty obvious killing the bear ends any attack. You wanna roll the dice, hit'em with some pepper. Just understand the sprayed bear will still solely and completely be in control of your fate; whether you live or die.

Latest available report I can find is this woman has not yet been found. Helicopters and dogs being used by search and rescue. She must have had a lot of confidence to be hiking a mountain trail, by herself, at 1am in the morning.

Last edited:
It's a puzzler why the couple couldn't identify the bear as black or brown, because even at the darkest hour of night, there's still dim light at my latitude. We currently have ~21hours of pretty good daylight. 3hrs of dimmer light, but still sufficient for black/white/gray vision. Enough light at the darkest hour I can navigate thru the woods without poking an eye out.

I'm thinking it wasn't a BIG brown bear. Because they're immense up close, and they could have at least reported HUGE bear. So likely a black bear, or a young/smaller brown bear.

I'm thinking the couple may not have had much prior exposure to bears. That, or they had their eyes pinched shut tightly while screaming at the top of their lungs - "bad bear"!

I don't think their injuries were enough to kill. Usually the reporting includes "severe" mauling, on the bad ones. That, and they had to paddle their kayak for about 1hr to get back to the closest campground/road from the location where the mauling occured. They were able to get themselves out on their own, so hopefully a full recovery is their prognosis.
I was thinking black because It was by a lake. I had to delete the rest of my post if you know what it mean ....

Last edited:
Why?
I think spray may repel bears that lack a full determination to kill. And when it works on these wimp bears, it lulls people into believing bear spray will protect them. And it supports Government officials intent on sparing bear lives by recommending bear spray. National Refuge and National Parks officials.

Latest available report I can find is this woman has not yet been found. Helicopters and dogs being used by search and rescue. She must have had a lot of confidence to be hiking a mountain trail, by herself, at 1am in the morning.
Not a bear story, but regarding motivations.......

I watched an interview of a fellow that had numerous shark varieties in, near, or at top of record book.
With pictures of a monster Great White shark he was asked how he decided where to fish for such things.

He said wherever the most beach drownings were being reported.....bodies if found all or partially eaten, always being the result of scavenging, not attacks according to officials.

Bringing it back to bears, F&G doesn't want to talk about the relocation of black bears, rising at record numbers. This coinciding with increasing grizzly numbers.

Many years ago when we first started seeing grizzly sign in our bait sets (the F&G 3 decades later now report the first grizzly in the area) the campgrounds around the area were full of bears, and we struggled to get normal activity on the baits.

Dominant bears push lesser bears off food sources, and into areas where increased human contact will occur. Hungry bears cause problems. Whatever are is around these places need to hunted more aggressively.

A guide after taking a large male from a spot, said whenever a big male was taken from a spot, sows with cubs began showing in that area again.

Not a bear story, but regarding motivations.......

I watched an interview of a fellow that had numerous shark varieties in, near, or at top of record book.
With pictures of a monster Great White shark he was asked how he decided where to fish for such things.

He said wherever the most beach drownings were being reported.....bodies if found all or partially eaten, always being the result of scavenging, not attacks according to officials.

Bringing it back to bears, F&G doesn't want to talk about the relocation of black bears, rising at record numbers. This coinciding with increasing grizzly numbers.

Many years ago when we first started seeing grizzly sign in our bait sets (the F&G 3 decades later now report the first grizzly in the area) the campgrounds around the area were full of bears, and we struggled to get normal activity on the baits.

Dominant bears push lesser bears off food sources, and into areas where increased human contact will occur. Hungry bears cause problems. Whatever are is around these places need to hunted more aggressively.

A guide after taking a large male from a spot, said whenever a big male was taken from a spot, sows with cubs began showing in that area again.
Right on the money. And just think, Fish and Game and biologist get paid by the state to lie about it. I'll refrain from going on about it. Our fees and tax dollars. Keeps there jobs too. bs.

Last edited:
Right on the money. And just think, Fish and Game and biologist get paid by the state to lie about it. I'll refrain from going on about it. Our fees and tax dollars. Keeps there jobs to bs.

WYO300RUM, kind of along the lines of HARPERC's post.....I suppose you're aware that for 2 years now, we've had a young grizzly (according to G&F) living just north of Lake Viva Naughton out of Kemmerer! When I lived there, I always thought that it was just a matter of time!

When the population densities get high enough in an area, the young bears move out for reasons of self preservation! memtb

WYO300RUM, kind of along the lines of HARPERC's post.....I suppose you're aware that for 2 years now, we've had a young grizzly (according to G&F) living just north of Lake Viva Naughton out of Kemmerer! When I lived there, I always thought that it was just a matter of time!

When the population densities get high enough in an area, the young bears move out for reasons of self preservation! memtb
I think I read also that a wolf was spotted in the Grey's River area near there . They wouldn't be protected there by a season. Be just like a coyote . It's not very far for a wolf or griz to go.

Last edited:
Hello
Next season I plan to hunt deer in Arkansas. I am told that from time to time bears pass through the lease. With this in mind, what is a good, dependable handgun (that won't break the bank) to carry for protection? I hear that the Glock 20 (10 mm) is a solid choice. Any other guns to consider?
This is why I never ask for what gun to build or buy. Status, please!

I hope there will be a better outcome than current information would suggest.

With just this to guide us it suggests a predatory attack. which will not be resolved by spray. These are predatory animals that have been kicked, bit swatted in their search for food, and are mentally prepared to go more than one round.

For the human involved ending it quickly is the best strategy. Spend the rangers time answering questions or waiting for your lawyer.

I remain in the no spray group.
😉👍

I cut 3/4" off my pic rail for mine to fit in that same chest rig. Figured since I didn't use the entire rail, why not. Now I know the fit is perfect in the holster and wouldn't risk heating up the polymer and making the fit a bit too loose
Look at the pic with pistols in it. Look at the rail on the 460 . I can cut about 2.5 in. off of it. I can't break screws loose . They are slotted... I tried heating them. No go. Don't want to mess up the screws. I think I can cut it while on the pistol without any damage .

I firmly believe the only true test of bear spray is the failures to deter the bears intent on killing. When the use of the bear spray still results in death by bear.

Why?

You want to deter a bear attack, it's pretty obvious killing the bear ends any attack. You wanna roll the dice, hit'em with some pepper. Just understand the sprayed bear will still solely and completely be in control of your fate; whether you live or die.

Exactly

Look at the pic with pistols in it. Look at the rail on the 460 . I can cut about 2.5 in. off of it. I can't break screws loose . They are slotted... I tried heating them. No go. Don't want to mess up the screws. I think I can cut it while on the pistol without any damage .
Mmmm. Not sure that is the best plan. I'd have a gunsmith remove the rail. For the low cost of that, it saves the possible screw up of damaging the gun.

I think I read also that a wolf was spotted in the Grey's River area near there . They wouldn't be protected there by a season. Be just like a coyote . It's not very far for a wolf or griz to go.

There is pretty reputable information (a long passed Wy. Game & Fish Officer) that wolves where placed near Kemmerer in the '60's by the feds!

When placing bear baits in, north of Kemmerer, in the late '80's.....I came across a very large set of canine tracks. I was the first person (to my knowledge), since the winter snowmobilers to be in that area. There were still large snow fields, with some areas melted off. The tracks were fresh, in the mud left by the melting snow!

We weren't supposed to have wolves in the region at this time....yet there were fresh tracks!

There was also rumor that a pack of wolves would occasionally pass through the area making a loop up through the Yellowstone country! memtb

There is pretty reputable information (a long passed Wy. Game & Fish Officer) that wolves where placed near Kemmerer in the '60's by the feds!

When placing bear baits in, north of Kemmerer, in the late '80's.....I came across a very large set of canine tracks. I was the first person (to my knowledge), since the winter snowmobilers to be in that area. There were still large snow fields, with some areas melted off. The tracks were fresh, in the mud left by the melting snow!

We weren't supposed to have wolves in the region at this time....yet there were fresh tracks!

There was also rumor that a pack of wolves would occasionally pass through the area making a loop up through the Yellowstone country! memtb
In the 60's ? Wow ! I wouldn't doubt for a min. wolves are in the Salt or Grey's River range. They'd be a varmit there. For now....I'm sure with the overpopulating grizzlies they will be there also. They are finding them many miles from their range on flatland now. Both.