Bear protection handguns?

Another reason to carry a revolver in Alaska.
About 4hrs ago at the edge of my backyard. Can be mean mommas this time of year. This one came at my dog growling like a bear.

A week ago a lady 20mi north of me got stomped by a cow with a newborn calf. Believe it or not, she was attacked trying to reunite the newborn calf with the cow! Likely watched the movie Bambi once too many times. She was medivac'd to an Anchorage hospital, so she clearly suffered a serious whoopin for interfering between the cow and its calf. She survived, last I heard. I believe the newspaper reported that the woman was a recent arrival to Alaska. Now a graduate of the "school of hard knocks".

Moose attacks have killed a few of people in the 40+ years I've lived here. When their head lowers slightly and they stare at you like you owe them serious money, time to draw the revolver and back away. When the ears lay down, time to back away faster. If they start coming head held low, ears flattened back, run fast! They will usually stop if you clear out.
20210613_104911.jpg

For "up close and personal" defense against a large, aggressive bear.....I think that many of you do not give the handguns there due credit! Ft/lbs energy mean little to a large bear.....penetration is where it's at. The greater5 the penetration.....the greater the opportunity to ventilate important body parts.

Below is some of the results gathered at one of John Linebaugh's siminars held in Cody, Wy. annually! If you read the article, you may be surprised at how well the handguns compared to some well known African Dangerous Rifles/cartridges! Enjoy 😉 memtb

For "up close and personal" defense against a large, aggressive bear.....I think that many of you do not give the handguns there due credit! Ft/lbs energy mean little to a large bear.....penetration is where it's at. The greater5 the penetration.....the greater the opportunity to ventilate important body parts.

Below is some of the results gathered at one of John Linebaugh's siminars held in Cody, Wy. annually! If you read the article, you may be surprised at how well the handguns compared to some well known African Dangerous Rifles/cartridges! Enjoy 😉 memtb

I wish they would of included 460 and 500 S&W . Very interesting and informative. Makes me feel good with my 454 and hardcast.

I wish they would of included 460 and 500 S&W . Very interesting and informative. Makes me feel good with my 454 and hardcast.

I've talked to John a couple of months back, and would like to go to this year's seminar.....which is real soon.

What bullet weight are ya runn'n in your .454?

I'd like to see what my 400 grain cast from my 460 would do! I'm getting around 38, on the Taylor KO chart! Of course.....I may get my "feelers hurt"! 🤔 memtb

Last edited:
I've talked to John a couple of months back, and would like to go to this year's seminar.....which is real soon.

What bullet weight are ya runn'n in your .454?

I'd like to see what my 400 grain cast from my 460 would do! I'm getting around 38, on the Taylor KO chart! Of course.....I may get my "feelers hurt"! 🤔 memtb
350 gr. Beartooth. Same in 460 S&W. Also tried 300 gr.

Last edited:
Still alot of time left to spend with him in the wild enjoying it. I'd be happy if my son at 38 got back into it. He loved it till he started his career. Then just no time.
Never assume there is a lot of time left to spend with loved ones, make memories. Friday before last Christmas we lost a "youngin'" I watched born and grow up. He would have been 44 on Feb 2......esophageal cancer after 4-1/2 year battle. Then, immediately lost another 40 year hunting buddy on Christmas Day...73 years old.....COPD, heart failure. Money is replenishable. Heartbeats and time with special people not.

Never assume there is a lot of time left to spend with loved ones, make memories. Friday before last Christmas we lost a "youngin'" I watched born and grow up. He would have been 44 on Feb 2......esophageal cancer after 4-1/2 year battle. Then, immediately lost another 40 year hunting buddy on Christmas Day...73 years old.....COPD, heart failure. Money is replenishable. Heartbeats and time with special people not.
My point was it's never too late to get back together with a son that lost interest in a shared activity. The older we get, the more people we lose around us for sure. I definitely don't dwell in it. Stay active and healthy and with a little help from the big guy, life will be good. Almost everyone I know has had the same experience as I have with my son's losing interest. Some have returned and some not. At some point in my younger years, I lost a little interest in as well. College, girls and jobs caused the lack of time and interest briefly. Only lasted a couple years but I think most of us have the same experience.

We're finding a similar issue removing .454 Ruger revolvers from the Kenai holster. You'll never have a revolver fall free of this holster. They're held in VERY tightly. Takes quite a yank to pop them free. There's a positive side to it, and a negative.
But I don't have to use both hands to yank the revolver free when strapped to my chest. So not quite as bad as you experienced with your Glock. A healthy one-handed yank will clear my revolver.
I bought a Kenai Gunfighter holster for my 460 S&W. I has a Sig Romeo red dot sight on it. I went into the holster until it hit the picatinney rail. About inch and a half short of all the way in. I probably would of been ok. I was thinking of heating it up with hair dryer and shoving it in. All the while a Glock 20 or Springfield XDM 10mm kept going thru my head. The a week later the guy I just bought a Lab pup from can in wanting to sell 3 new in the box pistols. One was a Glock 20. Imagine that. Glad I didn't alter the holster. I returned it and got a Kenai for the Glock 20. Then 2 weeks later was my last day working there so I bought myself a Springfield XDM 10mm for a going away present ! Don't really know why... I haven't checked if it fits in the Glock holster yet but I doubt it. I'll get another Kenai for it if I choose it to carry.. no more 20% discount tho 😟

I bought a Kenai Gunfighter holster for my 460 S&W. I has a Sig Romeo red dot sight on it. I went into the holster until it hit the picatinney rail. About inch and a half short of all the way in. I probably would of been ok. I was thinking of heating it up with hair dryer and shoving it in. All the while a Glock 20 or Springfield XDM 10mm kept going thru my head. The a week later the guy I just bought a Lab pup from can in wanting to sell 3 new in the box pistols. One was a Glock 20. Imagine that. Glad I didn't alter the holster. I returned it and got a Kenai for the Glock 20. Then 2 weeks later was my last day working there so I bought myself a Springfield XDM 10mm for a going away present ! Don't really know why... I haven't checked if it fits in the Glock holster yet but I doubt it. I'll get another Kenai for it if I choose it to carry.. no more 20% discount th
I cut 3/4" off my pic rail for mine to fit in that same chest rig. Figured since I didn't use the entire rail, why not. Now I know the fit is perfect in the holster and wouldn't risk heating up the polymer and making the fit a bit too loose

I cut 3/4" off my pic rail for mine to fit in that same chest rig. Figured since I didn't use the entire rail, why not. Now I know the fit is perfect in the holster and wouldn't risk heating up the polymer and making the fit a bit too loose
I guess I could of done that too! It has a Sig Romeo 5 red dot. I was going to take it off and the rail and use open sights but I couldn't break the screws for rail loose. Then I remembered that red dot is movement activated so it basically would be on while walking or moving. Even it I was sitting and it was off, pulling out of holster would turn it on.
But, I went with different pistol... I'm going to look at the rail and see if I can cut some of it off . If so, I may buy the Kenai for it again ! It's a heavy son of a gun though.

I guess I could of done that too! It has a Sig Romeo 5 red dot. I was going to take it off and the rail and use open sights but I couldn't break the screws for rail loose. Then I remembered that red dot is movement activated so it basically would be on while walking or moving. Even it I was sitting and it was off, pulling out of holster would turn it on.
But, I went with different pistol... I'm going to look at the rail and see if I can cut some of it off . If so, I may buy the Kenai for it again ! It's a heavy son of a gun though.
That's the only style holster I prefer with those heavy bulky pistols. It's mostly out of the way until needed also. I find hip type holsters get in the way with tree safety harnesses and packs. Even a cross strap on padded shoulder straps don't effect drawing from that style holster.

Ive triedhi
That's the only style holster I prefer with those heavy bulky pistols. It's mostly out of the way until needed also. I find hip type holsters get in the way with tree safety harnesses and packs. Even a cross strap on padded shoulder straps don't effect drawing from that style holster.
I've tried hip holsters .
I've tried hip holsters (not with 460) and they don't work well with a large pack/frame. This will be the first time hunting with the Kenai holster. I think it will work great after hearing you guys.