Bear protection handguns?

Bummer.
One son loves it. The other is only now showing some interest at 38yrs.
Before he moved out at 21 was last time . He's 28 now. He moved from Ca. Working for General Dynamics at Ft. Irwin to Colorado Springs working for Lockheed at Patterson Air Base. He just got married. He says he wants to come here and hunt again. He hunted here in 2010 and 2012. Shot his buck deer and buck lope both times. He's only 550 mi. away now instead of 1100. I even told him I'd pay for his tags. We'll see but I doubt he'll come and hunt.

A 500 JRH is never a bad idea! A single action might not be the best choice for a high stress situation, but lots of practice and training can fix that problem.
All true.

Bringing it down to the individual level, I never really mastered double action with the Model 29 I had.

As hand strength has faded the grips on high capacity double stacks don't suit me.

I do like my Sig P225, especially the double action first shot.

I've just spent more time with the single actions, and I'm not optimistic about getting more than one shot.

My hunting partner walked into a bayed up bear. It stood up clear of the dogs for a moment, and he shot it with a .44 magnum pistol, 300 grain bullet. Actually a small bear. It took off running, escaping not charging, bear and several dogs went over the top of him. No worse for wear, just muddy paw prints. The bear died shortly down the hill.

Our little semi auto Ruger .44 may have offered a second round.

Skill levels vary, and having seen enough video either Jerry Miculek, Bob Munden could have done better.

I'm not advocating my choice as "the best bear stopper", just the best for me.

I think with a little honest self assessment, the larger hand cannons might not be best for everyone.

A 500 JRH is never a bad idea! A single action might not be the best choice for a high stress situation, but lots of practice and training can fix that problem.
I much prefer DAs for bear defense carry. With one hand in their mouth or bit off, I want a full cylinder ready for fire with my remaining hand.

At least wanna kill the bear that kilt me... with my last good trigger finger. Whichever finger that might be.

All true.

Bringing it down to the individual level, I never really mastered double action with the Model 29 I had.

As hand strength has faded the grips on high capacity double stacks don't suit me.

I do like my Sig P225, especially the double action first shot.

I've just spent more time with the single actions, and I'm not optimistic about getting more than one shot.

My hunting partner walked into a bayed up bear. It stood up clear of the dogs for a moment, and he shot it with a .44 magnum pistol, 300 grain bullet. Actually a small bear. It took off running, escaping not charging, bear and several dogs went over the top of him. No worse for wear, just muddy paw prints. The bear died shortly down the hill.

Our little semi auto Ruger .44 may have offered a second round.

Skill levels vary, and having seen enough video either Jerry Miculek, Bob Munden could have done better.

I'm not advocating my choice as "the best bear stopper", just the best for me.

I think with a little honest self assessment, the larger hand cannons might not be best for everyone.
I wonder how Bob Mundon would do fanning his six shooter at a charging bear. I bet if shooting a low power 45 colt, 44 spcl, 38 , etc. He might get 6 off. I doubt with a full house 44 mag. I'm just visioning. 🤔

I much prefer DAs for bear defense carry. With one hand in their mouth or bit off, I want a full cylinder ready for fire with my remaining hand.

At least wanna kill the bear that kilt me... with my last good trigger finger. Whichever finger that might be.
That's bas a** ! But I know exactly how you feel.
27 pages.... Enjoying the he// out of it. Thanks all !