Bear protection handguns?

Hunting in Arkansas a good pair of snake boots will give you more protection, especially in early season. However, I always carry a handgun whenever in the woods. A 10MM, .40 or .45 are all good options. Most everyone carries all the time anywhere, anyway. Keeps bad people on their toes, and helps force them to be polite in rural encounters. South Arkansas has bears with a closed season that aren't nearly as afraid of humans as their brothers in the western part of the State. The area is also full of hogs that can be 400lbs and just as mean or meaner than a bear. Good place to take a .44 with heavy cast bullets. I must say you will be about 100 times more likely to run into a mad rattler or cottonmouth than a bear. Bad people out doing bad things are somewhere in between those two.
Haven't seen you around for awhile. Hope you have been well. A good friend of mine lives in Pyatt. I asked him a while back if he knew where Mingo was. He said he never had heard of it. I hope you are shooting the he// of of them hogs !

Haven't seen you around for awhile. Hope you have been well. A good friend of mine lives in Pyatt. I asked him a while back if he knew where Mingo was. He said he never had heard of it. I hope you are shooting the he// of of them hogs !
Been busy with shoots. All is well here, thanks for asking. Tell him to look between the Bald Knob Refuge and Hurricane. He will find it.

QqBvZ5rl.jpg

And nice looking rig. Let's see it out of holster. Look at all the fun the OP is missing. No post since original. Maybe a bear hot him...😳

There ya go! Hopefully, it's next "photo op" will be with a deceased animal! 😉 memtb

These big bangers are what I had to choose from. The Ruger 454 barrel is just too long. The 460 S&W is HEAVY !View attachment 279614
I used to have a vintage SBH in 44 Mag like the one you have pictured, but mine was a short 4 5/8'' barrel. One of those pistols I wish I had kept. That little revolver kept me entertained and happy reloading after college. I love a good vintage SBH.

Hell of a pistol to buy at 21! I bought mine at 23. My first pistol, at 21, was a 1911 and I've basically carried one in some form or another since then ;)
I bought my first Colt 1911 was around 22 or 23. I still have it also. I had every Blackhawk made by the time I was 23 or 24. The 44 mag. A large frame 45 Long Colt. Wish I still had it. A 357. A 3 screw 41 mag. A 30 carbine. A 22/22 mag convertible. I might be forgetting one. I had lost my job at the time. I sold them all but the 44 mag to pay rent. I aquired a 3 screw 357 mag last year for $300. Bought a Ruger Wrangler 22 bout a year ago. Not as nice as the Convertible tho.

I bought my first Colt 1911 was around 22 or 23. I still have it also. I had every Blackhawk made by the time I was 23 or 24. The 44 mag. A large frame 45 Long Colt. Wish I still had it. A 357. A 3 screw 41 mag. A 30 carbine. A 22/22 mag convertible. I might be forgetting one. I had lost my job at the time. I sold them all but the 44 mag to pay rent. I aquired a 3 screw 357 mag last year for $300. Bought a Ruger Wrangler 22 bout a year ago. Not as nice as the Convertible tho.
All this talk of Blackhawks has me wanting to scratch an itch I've had since I was in my teens for a Flattop 44 Special. Almost picked one up last summer, but didn't have the funds. I may need to go shopping.
Hmm…

All this talk of Blackhawks has me wanting to scratch an itch I've had since I was in my teens for a Flattop 44 Special. Almost picked one up last summer, but didn't have the funds. I may need to go shopping.
Hmm…
Any Blackhawk is expensive these days. I can't believe it. Used New Model 357 are $600 and up. But I know what you mean. I had an itch for a Ruger 22 convertible . Prices were crazy. I bought the Wrangler instead for $190 out the door.
I noticed in the pic I sent it looked like scratches on the Glock slide. It was dog hair. Lol.

Last edited: