Bear lard

wv270wsm

Anyone else ever render down bear fat into lard? My lovely wife killed a nice 200+ lb bear last week and while cutting up the hams I removed most all the fat . Rendered it down last evening and it seems to of turned out great. Made a pan of biscuits this evening and it seems to work exceptionally well. No bad taste or smells. Bottom of biscuits could not have been better and the tops nice and golden.
I can guarantee that if this bear had been eating trash or dumpster goodies it wouldn't have turned out so well. But he was nice and fat and as clean as a bear can be I suppose.
Any one else use bear grease for cooking or other purposes?

I have been using wild animal lard since I was a child. Cooking a basic just not real healthy if used a lot. . Mixed with salt you can layer cooked meat in a ceramic crock with salted lard covering each layer of meat. Do this all the way to the top. Meat should keep for months ( 10 to 12 ). When you want meat just scrape the salted lard off , rinse , heat & eat. Use unsalted lard to lube your cotton patches for your muzzle loader. Unsalted lard to flux the alloy in your lead pot for bullet making. It goes on & on. Forgot about mixing graphite with lard , makes a usable grease especially for your horse drawn wagon.

The only way to make a great pie crust is with bear lard. Taught to my family by an old cook from a logging camp and homesteader.

Well it's been roughly 4 months since we rendered out the bear fat. I'll have to say it browns biscuits better than anything else I've seen thus far. Wife used a tablespoon of the bear lard last evening frying up ramps . Her and the youngest son said they were amazing. Will definitely have to render more bear fat this coming year . If the good lord is willing

Have rendered it off a few bears here. They've all been berry and acorn bears. If you go slow, keep your temp down, and filter while filling jars, it is an amazing thing. Really like it and it last forever in fridge. Daughter has used it for all manner of baking. I use it on some muzzleloader patches but mostly on leather. I would venture to say that less than 5% of bear hunters take advantage of it. Kind of a shame as it is wonderful.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.