bear hunters undergunned ?

Let your son know I wish him and his soon to be new Mrs the best of luck. What is BC short for?

British Columbia, Canada...

edit to add...

Thanks for the thoughts... CC

Last edited:
Your very welcome... The wedding went off with out a hitch other than me choking up a bit during my toast to my son, his bride, her family, my ex and her new family etc etc, they are now off on their honeymoon oh my why do I feel so old today... :)

So far I've been fortunate and have not gotten between a mother bear and her cubs. Unlike our criminal justice system, there is no presumption of innocence by most mother bears. Their justice system may result in the punishment of a few innocent intruders, but by and large, their inherent presumption of guilt is more often merited than not in the wilds of Alaska.

This reminded of a chopped pic that someone sent me:

Gus
1289201558_griz_cub.jpg

I was reading on gbo. Forums about a magical 720 gr. 458 bullet @ 1700 fps from a 458 wm I think could push it 2200 fps out of the wby though. He shot a big ole bear frontal head shot he said it pushed the bears head down im the ground. When I started this thread I thought maybe some bear hunters were undergunned but maybe lack skill? For a good placement shot in a tense situation. I have a youtube link ill post later of a guy with a 375 rum he uses for bear protection.

Im new here to L.R.H. fourms, but i do a lot of brown bear hunting up here in alaska and ive always trusted my .375 H&H loaded with a 300gr a-frame to get the job done. i got a 8' spring bear this year crusing the beach at 435yds
i know that it was far away ,but i would be more than confedent it would stop him at close range,if not i hope the 500S&W i carry on my chest would

Last edited:
I had the chance this past spring to hunt brown bear in AK. I was carring a 375 H&H. I have taken a lion before with this rifle and it does a good job of bringing them down. However, when I stepped into the large track of a large brown in the alders, I at that point, was wishing I had my 416 Rem. My brother and father have both taken browns with 375's and the bears took several shot before they were down. My guide carried a 416 Rem.

Next hunt in AK, I will have my 416 Rem.

Just my experience and thoughts.

I had the chance this past spring to hunt brown bear in AK. However, when I stepped into the large track of a large brown in the alders, I at that point, was wishing I had my 416 Rem.

The tracks of a large boar are truly impressive, but the first time you're in the presence of a 1000 lb boar at a distance of less than 100 yds - well - it can just about overwhelm a hunter's nervous system. I wasn't prepared for the immense size of that first boar, and I'd hunted all kinds of big game animals for 28 years prior to that experience back in 1996 when I found myself ~60 yds from a 10 1/2 footer in the alders for the first time in my life. My gosh... he looked like a barn door!

Since then I've shot several large boars and none of the others had quite the same affect on me as the sight of that first one did up close in the alders. Which is why I think the guide requirement for nonresidents (often first time brown bear hunters) is a reasonable requirement. The sight of that first large boar up close just about made me wish I hadn't hunted brown bear. I said 'just about'...

I'll be on Kodiak Island again in the spring 2011 hunt looking for another mature, battle-scarred boar. :)

Have never hunted them, but have bumped into the big coastal brownies several times while fishing the streams for salmon. Those bears are BIG!

Wasn't there a story a couple of years back of one taking several hits from a .458 Win mag and still trying to get to the hunters? Brutally big, strong animals.

I'd think a .375 would be decent bear medicine - but what do I know? Also, I imagine there's a difference between hunting one, shooting at 100 - 200+ yards, and knocking one down when it's attacking.

Love reading about them, and even enjoy watching them on the salmon streams, but in reality, I'll likely not be able to afford the price of a non-resident guided hunt for one of those big beasts. You guys who hunt them - keep on posting. Those are some great photos!

Regards, Guy