Bear fence?

Electric fence works on bears to a certain extent. Nothing is full proof. We've had quite a few times when a deer or moose took out an electric fence then you got nothing. Keep a clean camp is still number one and never think that everything is ok because you've got some wire/tape strung up.

We like it as it allows us to move or stock around for grazing and then you don't get the impact on the land.

Airplane owners will set them up around their planes out in the wilds to keep the bears away and they are generally talked about positively. I know folks on Kodiak Island run them around their remote homes also, and feel they're effective.

If you've ever watched the researcher's videos, then it's clear the bears strongly dislike getting poked.

I was in the Scapegoat for 10 days last Sept.there were huge Grizzly tracks everywhere.Game warden there said they have one of the highest Grizzly populations in the lower 48 states
Tim

I was in the Scapegoat for 10 days last Sept.there were huge Grizzly tracks everywhere.Game warden there said they have one of the highest Grizzly populations in the lower 48 states
Tim

Oh-boy… So I take it that you have a fence then? If so, what kind? Do you have any other tips backpacking into grizzly country besides the typical don't cook where you sleep, don't be alone, etc… Did you see any wolves?

Of course we have a good # of bears.Because they shut the season down in 1990,from a judge inDC.I had a tag the bears havent been hunted since then.They have no preditor .You have to highline food,or they ticket you.You are also suppose to have no carcass near a trail,sooooo its not real easy to move a carcass if you where lucky enough to get one on trail.

Interesting, Kinda like ringing the dinner bell :D hopefully the high pitch would run whatever off. I was pictureing myself trying to get out of a sleeping bag at 2 in the morning when that thing went off. :rolleyes:

Since the grizzly hunt here in Alberta has been cancelled we are starting to see more bears as well. In the last six sheep hunting seasons I have seen as few as 3 bears and as many as 8 in one season. I have considered using a bear fence during the day while I'm away from camp but not at night. I believe that more deer and elk would get caught up in it than bears. Keep a clean camp, loaded rifle and sleep light and all will be well. IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.