Bear defense shotgun.

I've begun loading some Tungsten shot pellets in my 12ga for sandhill cranes. Dropped one yesterday at 95yds with a 1 7/8oz load of #5s.
The density of lead is about 11gr/cc.
This TSS shot weighs 18g/cc. Heavy as gold and platinum.
I've tried to get some in single 0 buckshot. Or 00 buck. It would be the ultimate brown bear self defense load.
Tungsten is hard and will not deform under recoil, or upon impact with bone. I shoot 50% of my #5 pellets inti a 30" diameter circle at 100yds. That's no typo. 50% @ 100yds. That's how round the pellets are and how true they fly.

One pellet of tungsten single 0 buckshot weighs 78gr.
One pellet of tungsten double 00 buckshot weighs 85.7gr.

One pellet of lead 000 buckshot weighs 68gr, based on the data I collected.

AKDFG has penetration tested 00 lead buckshot on brown bear skulls at like 25yds. It failed to penetrate the skull on a frontal shot.

My supplier could order some, but so far has been unwilling. Tungsten pellets cost about $55/lb. My reloads cost me about $7/shell. :eek::eek:

I was about ready to order a bunch of shotgun shell reloading equipment until I hit the $7 a shell line! I'm still pretty fascinated as I just dropped Sig Romeo5 on my 870 tac and I'm getting 4" groups at 100 yds with 2 3/4 Federal truball slugs and my old eyes with a Carlson rifled choke. Need to pattern some 00 buck at 50 to see what the choke does to lead shot.

Yes, expensive.
I consider it a specialty round. Cranes coming dead in or dead away at long range. The patterns are so tight it would be tough to hit a bird on the wing flying broadside.
And anything closer than 65yds is sieved.
Great for still targets like Turkey at long range. # BB tungsten can fully penetrate a broadside deer at 50yds, for an idea of the penetration.
For birds, you'd commonly drop down two or three shot sizes. 7 1/2s and even #9 for long range head shots on turkey. 7 1/2s and 8s on geese. Or in my case, 5s and 6s on cranes.

Yes, expensive.
I consider it a specialty round. Cranes coming dead in or dead away at long range. The patterns are so tight it would be tough to hit a bird on the wing flying broadside.
And anything closer than 65yds is sieved.
Great for still targets like Turkey at long range. # BB tungsten can fully penetrate a broadside deer at 50yds, for an idea of the penetration.
For birds, you'd commonly drop down two or three shot sizes. 7 1/2s and even #9 for long range head shots on turkey. 7 1/2s and 8s on geese. Or in my case, 5s and 6s on cranes.

Very interesting. As a quick aside, are sandhill cranes really the prime rib of the sky? I need to get into birding/sporting clays like I need a hole in the head but if there is tasty meat involved I might be interested.

They're pretty good eating. The adults can use long, slow, moist cooking to tenderize the meat and keep it from drying out and getting tough. Yearlings are tender and tasty.
Much better than duck. If you like ducks, you'll love crane :)

The benefit to buckshot over quality slugs from shotguns is the enlarged POIs from the multiple pellets. It allows a bit of aiming error while still hopefully disabling the bear or attacking animal with a shot to the head.
Tungsten buckshot may pattern so tightly that this advantage is diminished at 15-25yds. I don't know because I haven't been able to try it yet. Out of a cylinder choke, it might be "perfect", for a save your life - bear charging scenario.

I have had good luck with the heavy shot on geese and ducks but prefer the lead for self defense (Mainly because like you I have had trouble finding buck shot in tungsten)

The 000 buck have worked well on hogs at distances where I have had to use them. 20 to 30 yards and closer at times. This is also not the place for a full choke because you want the pattern to open up at close distance. (After all It is for self defense).

I have had several close encounters of the worst kind with bears while bow hunting and was able to out bluff the bear on all occasions
except one, and it got pretty dicey.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for sharing your experience with buckshot Jerry.

I have no remorse about killing a bear that invades my personal space. We mean nothing to them. We're viewed as a meal or a threat. Killing is their way of life. I reciprocate that attitude toward them when they get in my face.

Folks that say the bears have every right to live free and wild? I'm OK with that, until threatening my life supports their living free and wild. At that point, may the better creature prevail. And I don't fight fair with bear! Got nothing to do with fairness. Only survival.
Known too many people mauled or killed during my years in Alaska.

Thanks for sharing your experience with buckshot Jerry.

I have no remorse about killing a bear that invades my personal space. We mean nothing to them. We're viewed as a meal or a threat. Killing is their way of life. I reciprocate that attitude toward them when they get in my face.

Folks that say the bears have every right to live free and wild? I'm OK with that, until threatening my life supports their living free and wild. At that point, may the better creature prevail. And I don't fight fair with bear! Got nothing to do with fairness. Only survival......

With high numbers of bears, security, game cameras, and cell phone video on the internet, people should have figured out, 1) They don't just eat roots, and berries, they are more capable predators than many believe(d) 2) There are too many fools allowing bears in their personal space.

With high numbers of bears, security, game cameras, and cell phone video on the internet, people should have figured out, 1) They don't just eat roots, and berries, they are more capable predators than many believe(d) 2) There are too many fools allowing bears in their personal space.

Humans dont have the strength or speed to fend off many different animals so we must rely on our brain. If we don't recognize the threat, we become prey.

I believe that there is never to much, and like them, when something
invades "MY" space it is time to react with extreme prejudiced.

Dangerous game doesn't rationalize, they act on instinct. we have to be ahead of there instincts buy being prepared and plan for the worst and hope for the best. You can't be lucky every time so you have to make your on luck by being well prepared.

Never go to a gun fight carrying a knife, carry both !!!!

J E CUSTOM

If you guys want the best most expert answer to how to handle Bears I would think that Missoula Montana Federal Judge would be who you would need to ask... He seems to think he knows more about bears then every other expert in the US..So I assume he has spent his whole life in the wilds and dealing with bears and problem bears.... I am sure he could give you the answers you seek.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.