Bear defense shotgun.

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by 280aiyote, Aug 21, 2018.

1. 280aiyote

280aiyote Member

There is a tripple barrel shotgun out there and was wondering, since alot of Alaskan guides carry shotguns for bear defense. And in Africa the double rifle is king, so why not combine the 2 together. Remember reading magazines as a kid in the docs office about hunting in Africa and read that even with a semi auto you would be lucky to get of 2-4 rounds before the animal was cleaning your ribs up. So why not use triple barrel shotgun?

2. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Because a pump action shotgun would be just as fast and can hold 5 rounds or more with an extended magazine.
    Weight,cost and cumbersomeness might be other issues for a triple.

hunterbob, 300whisper, ATH and 5 others like this.
  3. 280aiyote

280aiyote Member

makes sense. I'm not a elk or bear hunter so I've never had to worry about about them charging me on the east coast here.

4. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Multi barrel firearms are not new, 4 barrel shotguns exist as well. Given the advances in firearms and ammo, practicality is better served by a variety of more common firearms.

Practicality rarely defines discussions surrounding defending ones self from dangerous game. I covet a good double rifle for stopping Cape Buffalo. Practicality would make that the most useless firearm in the safe, as the probability of me ever seeing a Cape Buffalo isn't encouraging.:rolleyes:

alcesgigas, djm670 and 280aiyote like this.
  5. 280aiyote

280aiyote Member

@HARPERC be cool to have a double rifle pedersoli makes one that's in 9.3x74r that I'd like to have. But I can dream.

6. just country

just country Well-Known Member

morning, they r called drillings. normally of European origin.
    I have a beretta semi slug gun I use for hogs and deer.
    very effective. Winchester slugs! justme gbot tum

300whisper and Waynzee like this.
  7. Waynzee

Waynzee Well-Known Member

Yep, a semi auto 12 with 3 inch mags. would be my choice for close in bear hunting.

hunterbob likes this.
  8. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

Rem 870 with Brenneke slugs. Bad on butt-ugly bears.

Hatrick likes this.
  9. Waynzee

Just curios, why would ya want a pump over a semi in big bear country? Brenneke slugs is a good choice, probably what I would choose too.

10. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Never had a pump action jam, however I can't say that with a semiauto

300whisper, Wlfdg and Peddler 76 like this.
  11. phorwath

What Rick said.

Semi-autos are more complicated, and more likely to jam, compared to a well maintained 870. Semi-autos are great when they don't fail to feed. At that point, they become single shots and remain that way long enough for the bear to disable you, and continue feeding until you expire. :eek:

300whisper and Waynzee like this.
  12. Waynzee

Okay, wouldn't want to Bear bait. Thanks.

13. phorwath

I know one local who was mauled by a local brown bear in early spring. The bear was camped on a winter-kill moose carcass. His Rem semi-auto 30-06 rifle jammed after the first shot. Only thing that saved his life was his backup 44 Mag S&W revolver. His face was in the boars mouth when he unloaded the last 4 shots by "feel" into the underside of the bear. The boar released him and trotted off, never to be seen or heard from again.
    Man spent a couple weeks in the hospital. Reconstructive facial surgery. Many broken facial bones.
    Hope the boar died a painful death. :mad:
    Guy looks pretty good now, 20 yrs later. But his face still shows evidence of the bear mauling. Was very fortunate to survive that whooping...

14. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Semi 12 I’m a fan of benelli