Beanburrito Nevada middle of no where USA

Beanburrito

Just wanted to say hello to all and let you know that im a newb at long range shooting, I've got a 7mm by Remington. It's an older gun 20 plus years and I'm looking to buy a newer rifle but that's up in the air as I'm saving up my pennies "some of the guns I've seen run close to $10,000 so it might be awhile before I can afford a true long range rifle. Of course if a better offer comes I will most certainly take it into consideration.
I look for advice and if I do not use said advice please do not be upset as I learned with my kids advice is free either use it or don't but don't come crying to me when it bites you in the behind. gun)

Welcome to LRH, from N. Fl. You can get a very good shooting long-range rifle for less then $10,000.00

Don Dunlap .gun)

In what caliber? For example the 338 lapua by savage about $2200 plus a scope for about the same or a little more. But I'm not sure I want the 338 I guess I'm looking for ideas and hints as to what's a nice gun to shoot long range without getting black shoulders from every shotgun):D

How far can you shoot out there in Nevada? How far do you want to shoot? The .338 Lapua from Savage is a good buy, or you could build one, or buy used. There are other cartridges that will get out there accurately. I like muzzlebrakes on big boomers.

Where at in Nevada? I'm in Dayton, just outside Carson City.

Your 7mmRM is a plenty capable round. Possibly, you could could do a systemic upgrade on it as your budget allows.

Who makes your 7 Mag ? If its a Rem 700 or a Winchester Mod 70 then the sky is the limit. New bbl,trigger,stock you could have it accurized . I'm in Reno and I've met a 5 star gunsmith that will turn your rifle into a tac driver .

Who makes your 7 Mag ? If its a Rem 700 or a Winchester Mod 70 then the sky is the limit. New bbl,trigger,stock you could have it accurized . I'm in Reno and I've met a 5 star gunsmith that will turn your rifle into a tac driver .

I will have to look and ensure which model it is and I would be very interested in a name and number please :)

Ruger M-77 7 mag . Yes you can improve it . Its not really could you, its should you ? You could dump a load of cash into it or you could leave it alone and just shoot steel plates at extended range the way it is. Then report to us your results . Maybe you"ll find that it kicks to hard ? That rifle is a deer rifle ,we don't shoot 10 shots at a deer. But for long range shooting we fire a lot of rounds and barrels get hot ,so there are up grades to do do like "Free Float the bbl. But you could spend your cash on a rifle that's designed for long range shooting and won't kick your head off or clean out your bank account . Savage makes a long range rifle in 260 Rem or a Tika T-3 that shooters bang steel gongs at a 1,000 yards with minimal recoil . A great starter rifle with a "Just fine " scope can be had for under 2K.

Last edited:
So I guess it would be better to just buy a gun that's designed for long range I will look into the Tika T-3 and the 260 rem. do you have any other guns that you would recommed?
Now I've been looking at scopes and the one that keeps getting references is night force, are there as good a scope without the price tag? And I relize you get what you pay for but at times there's other quality items without having to give a right arm for it.

Holy smokes how much money do you have to spend ? Nightforce scope goes from $1500-3500 bucks. Its like your buying your first car do you want a Chevrolet or a Mercedes Benz ? I'm not a big fan of Savages but they do have a nice long range rifle in 260 Remington ,Tika makes a varmint rifle in 260 also I think I'd check them out first. Then a scope SWFA make a 3x15x50mm FFP scope for some where around $750 bucks. But Sightron makes very nice FFP scopes for under 1 K Weaver makes a very nice Tactical FFP scope . I have one I love it for around $800 bucks..... What is your budget for a rifle /scope combo, and will all post suggestions ?

I'm not rich by any means just been saving my money I am thinking $5000 I should have that money saved up n another couple months so I've still time to look at different ideas ifor gun/scope combo. I will be checking out the tika web site next. Question is a bench rest gun with a big heavy barrel the way to go for farther shots?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.