beam scale vs digital

Both have pros and cons. Personally, I use a digital scale the majority of the time and have had good luck with them. The keys to a digital scale are letting it warm up before use and always keeping it calibrated. I will turn on my scale the day before I plan to use and just leave it on. If I know I will be doing a lot of loading over the course a week or two, it never gets shut off. I usually run the calibration before every session and then use check weights to verify I'm getting the readouts I should be getting. At some point, you just have to trust it.

Both have pros and cons. Personally, I use a digital scale the majority of the time and have had good luck with them. The keys to a digital scale are letting it warm up before use and always keeping it calibrated. I will turn on my scale the day before I plan to use and just leave it on. If I know I will be doing a lot of loading over the course a week or two, it never gets shut off. I usually run the calibration before every session and then use check weights to verify I'm getting the readouts I should be getting. At some point, you just have to trust it.

well i calibrate scales all day every day.thats my job..i have all of the certifies test weights for sealing and calibrating any type of weighing equipment. after 27 years of it you realize what works and what dont and why it will or want..if a digital scale want repeat with the same weight applied it has a problem..fix it replace it but dont use it..a digital scale that works cant be beat its very fast and very accurate.. when im loading ill still check the load occasionally but its the same as what i put in it everytime..they need 30 minutes warm up time if in a cold enviroment if at room temp. it only needs about 5 minutes..if calibrated once every 30 days it will hold that long but it can never hurt to calibrate it as many times as it takes to make you feel comfortable with it..

Well I learned something through this thread that I was not doing. That is to let the digital scale 'warm up' before using.

I don't have much of a problem with drift, but occasionaly it happens. So, my question is will warming up the scale minimize the drift?

Well I learned something through this thread that I was not doing. That is to let the digital scale 'warm up' before using.

I don't have much of a problem with drift, but occasionaly it happens. So, my question is will warming up the scale minimize the drift?

yes it will help..if you turn it on 30 minutes before using even if its cold where it is it will warm up in 30 minutes and will not drift or fluctuate any while weighing..
so basically the answer to your question is yes it will help to warm it up..
hope this helps you out..any questions just let me know and i can answer any about scales..maybe not nothing else..lol but i can a scale..
have a wonderful day.

Steve Smith

yes it will help..if you turn it on 30 minutes before using even if its cold where it is it will warm up in 30 minutes and will not drift or fluctuate any while weighing..
hope this helps you out..any questions just let me know and i can answer any about scales..maybe not nothing else..lol but i can a scale..
have a wonderful day.

Steve Smith
So which digital scale scale would you recommend that is the best value for the money?
Thx

Elmer

have a wonderful day.

Steve Smith

Thanks steve for all your info. I didn't know about the warm up period either. Maybe this is my problem with my Hornady digital. Ill try the 30 min warmup, calibrate and then see if I get better results.....thanks again for all your detailed comments

So which digital scale scale would you recommend that is the best value for the money?
Thx

Elmer

i purchased the lyman pro 1500 scale it has a 1500 grain capacity by .1 divisions..
i think it was $56.95 shipped..i checked it every way it can be checked and passed everyone with well respects..it weighs backwards as good as forward..this means if you dump to much on you can take it off in small amounts until it shows desired amount and be as accurate as if you added powder and didnt get enough and had to trickle more on.. it goes both ways the same..in my opininon this scale works as good as any and better than others on the market for 4 to 5 times the money all because you start paying for a name.. in the scale industry no one has a clue what a lyman is..in reloading its a popular name as well as hornady and such..so to buy a name brand scale would cost $300-$500 and not weigh powder any better..this is in my opinion all the scale you need to weigh powder and is a good price for what you are getting as it comes with a calibration weight to check calibration as much as needed but will eventually realize a scale doesnt loose calibration..in time it can get out of tolerance meaning its not linear anymore but if the calibration weight is not sealed so it can get no air, no finger prints, nothing of the enviroment on it then it still has to be sealed once a year by the division of weight and measures to stay a certified calibration weight, so as you can see the point of it after time starts becoming mute unless you stay on top of it..this is why i say your buying a name so the scale that does what its designed to do and does it for the cheapest price is by far the best way to go..
hope this helps in deciding ona scale..

i purchased the lyman pro 1500 scale it has a 1500 grain capacity by .1 divisions..
i think it was $56.95 shipped..i checked it every way it can be checked and passed everyone with well respects..it weighs backwards as good as forward..this means if you dump to much on you can take it off in small amounts until it shows desired amount and be as accurate as if you added powder and didnt get enough and had to trickle more on.. it goes both ways the same..in my opininon this scale works as good as any and better than others on the market for 4 to 5 times the money all because you start paying for a name.. in the scale industry no one has a clue what a lyman is..in reloading its a popular name as well as hornady and such..so to buy a name brand scale would cost $300-$500 and not weigh powder any better..this is in my opinion all the scale you need to weigh powder and is a good price for what you are getting as it comes with a calibration weight to check calibration as much as needed but will eventually realize a scale doesnt loose calibration..in time it can get out of tolerance meaning its not linear anymore but if the calibration weight is not sealed so it can get no air, no finger prints, nothing of the enviroment on it then it still has to be sealed once a year by the division of weight and measures to stay a certified calibration weight, so as you can see the point of it after time starts becoming mute unless you stay on top of it..this is why i say your buying a name so the scale that does what its designed to do and does it for the cheapest price is by far the best way to go..
hope this helps in deciding ona scale..

Thank you very much Steve!

Elmer

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts