Beam Divergence

Big Pard

I just bought a Nikon Laser 1200 from a local gun store and while looking at the manual (odd when we males actual look at a manual prior to using something) I noticed it said the Beam Divergence was: V 5-8 degrees , H 25-36 degrees. I was wondering how this compares with other rangefinders

I have a hard time believing that the beam divergence is measured in degrees, are you sure you read that correctly? Most beams are measured in milliradians. A 36 degree beam would honestly be 100% useless in my mind.

I ranged some pine tree tops today at 625 yards in the bright sun so I'm pleased so far with the unit. Will have to check to see how far I can range a deer. I hope I can get 500 yards on a normal basis.

I have the same one. I have been trying to find out the actual beam width. I have had great luck with this rangfinder so far And have had it for 3 years. I have been able to pick up deer at 900 plus yards on a flat. Rocks to 1250 cows to 1200. Deer at 500 will not be a problem its been pretty dependable out to 1000. If there is any fog or light clouds even if you can see your target just fine forget about it it just wont work.

That has to be a misprint on their part. That beam divergence would cover 138 feet at 100 yards. That laser would have a bigger beam than a mag light! Haha

0308131419_zps55a24400.jpg

This is from the Nikon Laser 1200 manual.

It probably suposed to say .5-.8 V by 2.5-3.6H and measured in milliradians not degrees.

The Leica 1200 is 0.5 milliradians vertical by 2.5 milliradians horizontal

This would make sence.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.