bead blasting over decals

pat henry

Have stainless barrel that I want to bead blast to take the polish off. Thinking about using pin strip decals to put a pattern on it. anybody had any luck with this.

Should work ok. Done couple barrels using the plastic protective netting that comes on custom barrels. Would think you could experiment like custom paint job.

I've cerakoted a few . Never bead blasted a stainless one, I'm assuming it would just like prepping one for cerakote.

Yes it should work as long as you keep the blasting nozzle perpendicular to the tape--- if you angle the nozzle towards the edge of the tape it will probably pull the edges.

I use regular contact style shelf paper to make masks for ss tumblers and then blast designs on the surface-- so pinstripe tape should work fine too --- you might turn the pressure down around 90psi to keep the tape from lifting a bit also.

Good luck, show results

Oh yea, make sure you de-grease well or the tape will want to lift easier.

Reminder -

if you're doing stainless, use fresh media that has not been used with steel. Used media will likely have rust particles in it that can imbed in your stainless.

You also want to get very fine (small) media.

Reminder -

if you're doing stainless, use fresh media that has not been used with steel. Used media will likely have rust particles in it that can imbed in your stainless.

You also want to get very fine (small) media.
I use 100 mesh for a nice fine even finish-- of you want more "cut" then something in the 40 mesh range works well

Check with a local sign shop or monument dealer. There is a glue backed film that will stand sand blasting that is used on a computer operated sign machine. They make stencils that are used for stone carving with a sand blaster. This material may have uses in your project.

Looking at this decal down the barrel top and bottom. Tordillo Hill tx emblem 280ai somewhere along the side. 80 grit glass beads . I guess start 60 psi on stainless shop trays I have and work up till it look ok. s-l500barbedwire.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.