Be lazy or not?

eddybo

Last night I loaded up 70 rounds for a f-class match saturday. On round 58 I relaized the set screw in my wilson seater had loosened allowing the stem to rotate. Now I have a bunch of rounds that are shorter than my .194 ogive to base length. I also have a few that are longer, and about 40 rounds that are pretty much spot on. I used a gravity puller to lengthen the cases that were too short and reseated them to the correct length. I just reseated the cases that were too long.

Here is my question. Should I use a gravity puller to lengthen the cases that are seated correctly and reseat them all; or pull all the bullets from all the cases and resize them all?

It seems that when I unseat the cases that are too short that there is slightly less neck tension when I reseat them. Still plenty of neck tension to secure the bullet, but less than normal. Will these reseated rounds find a different POI that the cases that were initially seated correctly, if I do not unseat and reseat them?

We are only talking about 600 yards, is this inconsistancy going to give me enough verticle to knock me out of the 1/2 MOA x ring?

I have a bunch of time invested in developing this load and I know the gun is shooting well enough to win if I do my part. I do not want to blow this chance by being too lazy. Should I just pull all of them and resize the cases and reload; or unseat and reseat all? Thanks for any input.

Confidence is everything in competition.

My recommendation is to call in sick tomorrow, shoot those up and reload them ;-)

AJ

You know that is great advice.....I am knocking off now, thanks for the excuse:) I am heading home to pull all the bullets and reload. I would shoot em but with over 2k rounds down the barrel I am saving every shot I can. I dont know how many rounds a 6-6.5x47 is good for when it is mostly used for 22 shot strings, but I am hoping for at least 3 more matches out of this tube.

As if you are not paranoid

enough have you checked what happens to the tir of a cartridge that has had its bullet pulled with a press tool ? I have a collet style puller as well as the kinetic hammers . It seems that the collet style can induce a bit of unwanted runout if not employed carefully . Removing the case hold3eder spring on the ram can help as well as lowering the ram a bit to relieve the bind on the case head once the bullet is gripped by the collet .

Jim B.

Well thanks for the advice guys. I pulled em all, resized em and reloaded and pulled out a 2nd place in some bad winds against some very very experianced shooters. The only way I can be competitive when the wind is bas is to have a gun that shoots better than the competitions. Thanks to a bunch of stuff I am learning on this site, I am usually able to get this edge.
(actually I dont understand how they award the prizes. They announced me as F-open 1st place and the guy that beat me by 2 points as match winner. All I know is I was the second winner:mad:....but there is always next month. At least it was my gunsmith and a BR hall of fame shooter that beat me:))

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts