BDL style mag with AI cut in the action

yorke-1

A buddy wants to build a hunting rifle with a Mausingfield action and wants to use a BDL style floor plate. Since the Mausingfield has an AI mag style cutout in the action he was told that there's no way to use the BDL style mag with it since there are no feed rails on the receiver. Is there any way around this?

I suggested that he just look into something like the Curtis Custom bottom metal and the 3 round magazine to keep a relatively low profile.

I'm not a Gunsmith but I think it can be done. If I ever get the rifle projects I've got started finished, I'm going to build one myself.

Andrew~
If the action has feed rails, it will accept any AI style mag or be set up as BDL. If the action is cut in AW configuration, it will only accept AI or AW mags, but cannot be fed out of a hinged floor plate and internal box mag.
Our Axiom is AI/BDL, and our Vector is AI/AW...
The Mausingfield can be set up as BDL.

Just go to the website to see this photograph:

upload_2018-4-22_10-59-13.png

Note the integral rails in the action which will allow for the 'BDL-style' bottom metal.

While I haven't actually tried it I believe the only way to easily load from a BDL Mag would be stacking the rounds in the bottom and closing the floor plate. The reason for this is because the feed lips are less than a cartridge wide for half the bottom cut preventing you from top loading like you would on a typical hunting rifle.

The only way I see it being possible is to push the round forward and slide it back under the feed lips. I'll try it tonight when I get home and see if it can be done.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts