BDC or Target turrets Viper HS 4-16x44

Stix

I'm pretty well set on a Viper HS 4-16x44 for my new .308 and i'm pretty happy with the BDC recticle offered in the non LR capped turret version. I've never hunted with target turrets but i do want to start shooting out to atleast 500 metres (Pigs and dogs not paper or steel). How appropriate are the tall Vortex target turrets for hunting? I doubt i would ever want to shoot at anything further than 500m but is it worth getting the target turret version so i can if i want?

This isn't a dedicated long range rifle, it's a multi purpose pig/deer gun with regular 300m-350m shots and occasional 500 metre shots. Stick with capped turrets and learn the bdc recticle? Or are target turrets appropriate for a knock around multi purpose rifle? If so with BDC or duplex recticle?

Cheers guys

Stix

You can dial the non-LR version too...you just have to remove the cap first...

I chose the non-LR scope with a plex reticle myself.

Last edited:
Really? How does that work? How do you know where to return it too for zero? Or does it have some different type of dialing turrets then a standard scope?

Just turn the knob back to zero...its not that hard to do.

At the ranges you said you'd be shooting, you won't even be turning it a full turn anyway...thats true for anything from a 308 Win on up.

Zero stops are nice and all, but not absolutely necessary.

when zeroing you get it sighted in then pull up on the turret and turnit back to zero it wont turn the reticle but you have to keep it pulled up there is a spring in it that keeps it pushed down ;-}

I prefer to dial in the scope for the range I'm shooting rather than hold over even with a mildot reticle. Nightforce and scopes like that make it easy. If you are zeroed at 200, dialing up to 500 should only take 10 MOA or less depending on the load.
db

when zeroing you get it sighted in then pull up on the turret and turnit back to zero it wont turn the reticle but you have to keep it pulled up there is a spring in it that keeps it pushed down ;-}

Is that for capped turrets or the target turrets?

capped the target turrets i think have a look in them so you dont bump them but not sure there

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts