bdc and long range

All you do is take the cap off and dial what you need. The turret itself can be "zeroed" after you sight in, so you always know where you are (up to 12 min at least = 1 full turn). Wind should just be a small adjustment.

Look at the reticle on the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 LR. It has tic marks on both axis and it has an exposed elevation knob. Windage is capped. Kenton Industries Vortex | Kenton Industries will make you a custom elevation turret that reads in yards if you consistently hunt under similar temperature and elevation conditions.

thumbnail_generator.php

sub_vpr_hs-lr_s_4-16x50_bdc_moa.jpg

I do like the vortex dead hold reticle. Its neat how they have made the reticle MOA as well to match the turrets. As for now the nikon bdc is my only option just because of the price offered to me. The scope I have now has mil and .5 mil dots and lines for windage/elevation I technically could do the same thing off that reticle I guess but its a 16x scope and the mils are only set up for 10x.

There was a great article I found on here that would be very similar to what you could do with the BDC reticle: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/no-click-lr-carry-gun-48155/

This is similar to what I plan on doing with my Monarch BDC. Pick a few areas to have the BDC dialed in (i.e. 16x, 12x, 8x) and put the numbers on a piece of paper that is taped to my gun. Using Nikon's ballistic program will help this a bunch, but as has been said, the only real way to find out if it is exact is to get out and shoot. Good luck!

I have a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 with the BDC and love it for hunting when you need to make a quicker shot. The biggest problem that I have with it is that the circles for the hold points don't give a exact point of aim. At the longer ranges the circle can circle the whole target. If that makes sense. For real accurate shooting I like the turrets but for quick on the fly long shots the BDC works great.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts